Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:06:30 -0400
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> You said: "Just placed my order for a 15"x20" Fibrament-D stone."
>
> Did you receive your stone yet?
> I was looking at the picture of it at
> http://www.bakingstone.com/why_fibrament.php
> and it looks to me that it is not flat all the way across, but has what
> looks to be about 2-3" flaps on either side; if this is true, I am
> wondering why they decided to use up the space so it could angle
> upwards. Thanks,
> Dee

Yeah, it's tapered at the edge.

When you pour cement into a mold that has vertical sides, there's a
higher risk of air bubble defects along the molded edge than with sloped
sides.

These defects would hardly detract from the usefulness of the stone, but
some people might object to them, which would increase product returns.

It's also much easier to remove from the mold when the sides are sloped,
and this lowers the defect rate as well.

The entire sloped area on my 15x20 stone is about 1". It's not a big
deal. I agree that at the angle they shot the picture, it looks bigger than
that, because of the curved corners. The corners on mine aren't curved.

I didn't get any fancy box, though, just lots of bubble wrap

As for it's performance, that's bloody great. See:

http://tinyurl.com/3ussm (google groups url way too long)

So far I've done four pizze and half a dozen calzone. I mean to try a
loaf of bread soon.