Charles Gifford

"salgud" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Been a while since I've been to San Diego, but there are some nice
> places there. Sea World, if it's still there and you like that sort of
> thing and haven't been in a while, etc.

Sea World is a shrine to Budwieser beer. Don't waste your time. IMHO.

> But the best thing there is Balboa Park.

It is certainly worth a visit for the architecture and museums. Balboa Park
is the 2nd largest civic park in the U.S.

> It has one of the best zoos in
> the country, unless you hate zoos.

The Zoo is in Balboa Park but not a division of it. The Zoological Society
of San Diego is a private non-profit organization. It is the best zoo (both
campuses) in the U.S. with the (probable) exception of the Bronx and
possibly the National Zoo. There are only 2 or 3 other zoos in the world
that can compare. Of course it is impossible to make a meaningful rating
because of all the variables of what each zoo does. The proper name of the
San Diego Zoo includes "and Botanical Garden". It has one of the top 2 or 3
botanical collections in the world. The 2nd campus is the San Diego Wild
Animal Park (35 mile north of the Zoo) which houses the SD Zoological
Society's Center for the Reproduction of Endangered Species (CRES).

> But even if you don't go to the zoo,
> it is a beautiful park with some restored old homes you can visit and
> just generally walk around.

There are no homes in Balboa Park.

> If you haven't made your room reservation yet, avoid the Hotel Del
> Coronado. It's very old, beautiful and famous, but they rip people off.

<snip>

I don't doubt it. The new corporate owners have shown their colors many
times with the way they treat their slaves.......er, employees.

There are many wonderful hotels in the downtown area as well some of the
older hotel/motel locations. My favorite is the Hyatt Regency although it is
a little pricy. Even if you can't stay there, drop by and visit the cocktail
lounge on the top floor. Wonderful views!

> SD is a beautiful place, though getting to be more and more a suburb of
> LA, unfortunately.

Hardly. There is no connection to L.A. really. San Diego has founded suburbs
toward the east as far as Imperial County and north, inland, to Riverside
County. North of Sandy Eggo is Camp Pendleton which widely separates Sandy
Eggo from Orange County. L.A. is north of that. The feeling and cultures of
L.A. and Sandy Eggo are very different.

San Diego IS a very beautiful place with the best weather in the U.S.
(usually!). The center for those interested in food, clubbing and other
assorted fun is in the Gaslamp area downtown. Many wonderful restaurants are
located there.

If you can define what you are looking for and a price range, ask the good
folks at news:sdnet.eats and they will be glad to help!

Charlie