Andretta Kobik

Default Maui..any places to see

We are going to Maui May 05, do you have any tips on places to see,
visit, eat, or go to a luau ? Then we will be in San Diego a few days,
any tips? Thanks in advance, Andretta

salgud

Been a while since I've been to San Diego, but there are some nice
places there. Sea World, if it's still there and you like that sort of
thing and haven't been in a while, etc.
But the best thing there is Balboa Park. It has one of the best zoos in
the country, unless you hate zoos. But even if you don't go to the zoo,
it is a beautiful park with some restored old homes you can visit and
just generally walk around.
If you haven't made your room reservation yet, avoid the Hotel Del
Coronado. It's very old, beautiful and famous, but they rip people off.
I took my first wife there to get away for a weekend just before our
first child was due, and reserved a room with an "ocean view". I paid
quite a bit extra for it. When we got there, we couldn't see the ocean,
so I called down and complained. The bellhop came up and showed me that
if we moved a very large overstuffed chair out of the way and stood in
a corner with our back against the wall, we could see a tiny sliver of
ocean! I'll never go back!
SD is a beautiful place, though getting to be more and more a suburb of
LA, unfortunately.

Bob Myers

"Andretta Kobik" > wrote in message
> We are going to Maui May 05, do you have any tips on places to see,
> visit, eat, or go to a luau ? Then we will be in San Diego a few days,
> any tips? Thanks in advance, Andretta

The best luau on Maui is easily the Old Lahaina Luau; we've
been there twice and thouroughly enjoyed it both times.
Their web site is:

http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/index_main.html

A few other suggestions re places to eat and things to do:

- Whale watching is VERY big, at least from about December
to March; never been there in May, but I suspect it's well after
the peak season. Still, if there's anything to be seen at that time,
I'd recommend getting on one of the cruises run by the Pacific
Whale Foundation out of Lahaina harbor.

- There's a fair aquarium - the Maui Ocean Center - at Ma'alaea
harbor, although you can also see a lot of ocean life up close
and personal by snorkeling or diving at any of about a zillion
locations around the island.

- The drive to Hana is a lot of fun, at lease for those who don't
get carsick easily (LOTS of tight curves); you go from the
relatively dry side of the island through rain forest to the small
town of Hana, one of the wettest places in the country.

- Downtown Lahaina is the real "tourist trap" area, but not
nearly as bad as that name generally suggests. But it's here
you'll find places such as the Hard Rock Cafe, Bubba Gump's,
etc., along with more souvenir shops than you could ever need.

By the way, two general recommendations - first, get the book
"Maui Revealed," which is easily the best guide book to the island
I've ever found. Second, for your accomodations, I would recommend
an oceanfront condo over any of the hotels there. We like the
Hale Kai - in Ka'anapali, north of Lahaina (it's right on the ocean,
quiet, and reasonably priced) but there are dozens of others.

Bob M.

Charles Gifford

"salgud" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Been a while since I've been to San Diego, but there are some nice
> places there. Sea World, if it's still there and you like that sort of
> thing and haven't been in a while, etc.

Sea World is a shrine to Budwieser beer. Don't waste your time. IMHO.

> But the best thing there is Balboa Park.

It is certainly worth a visit for the architecture and museums. Balboa Park
is the 2nd largest civic park in the U.S.

> It has one of the best zoos in
> the country, unless you hate zoos.

The Zoo is in Balboa Park but not a division of it. The Zoological Society
of San Diego is a private non-profit organization. It is the best zoo (both
campuses) in the U.S. with the (probable) exception of the Bronx and
possibly the National Zoo. There are only 2 or 3 other zoos in the world
that can compare. Of course it is impossible to make a meaningful rating
because of all the variables of what each zoo does. The proper name of the
San Diego Zoo includes "and Botanical Garden". It has one of the top 2 or 3
botanical collections in the world. The 2nd campus is the San Diego Wild
Animal Park (35 mile north of the Zoo) which houses the SD Zoological
Society's Center for the Reproduction of Endangered Species (CRES).

> But even if you don't go to the zoo,
> it is a beautiful park with some restored old homes you can visit and
> just generally walk around.

There are no homes in Balboa Park.

> If you haven't made your room reservation yet, avoid the Hotel Del
> Coronado. It's very old, beautiful and famous, but they rip people off.

<snip>

I don't doubt it. The new corporate owners have shown their colors many
times with the way they treat their slaves.......er, employees.

There are many wonderful hotels in the downtown area as well some of the
older hotel/motel locations. My favorite is the Hyatt Regency although it is
a little pricy. Even if you can't stay there, drop by and visit the cocktail
lounge on the top floor. Wonderful views!

> SD is a beautiful place, though getting to be more and more a suburb of
> LA, unfortunately.

Hardly. There is no connection to L.A. really. San Diego has founded suburbs
toward the east as far as Imperial County and north, inland, to Riverside
County. North of Sandy Eggo is Camp Pendleton which widely separates Sandy
Eggo from Orange County. L.A. is north of that. The feeling and cultures of
L.A. and Sandy Eggo are very different.

San Diego IS a very beautiful place with the best weather in the U.S.
(usually!). The center for those interested in food, clubbing and other
assorted fun is in the Gaslamp area downtown. Many wonderful restaurants are
located there.

If you can define what you are looking for and a price range, ask the good
folks at news:sdnet.eats and they will be glad to help!

Charlie

Warren Okuma

"Andretta Kobik" > wrote in message
> We are going to Maui May 05, do you have any tips on places to see,
> visit, eat, or go to a luau ? Then we will be in San Diego a few days,
> any tips? Thanks in advance, Andretta

Hmmm....

1) Haleakala

2) Na Wai Hiku, Seven Pools

3) Wailua waterfalls

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/wealthofculture.html

4) The Piilani Heiau

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/photore....&typ=0&loc=120

5) Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour (kinda pricey)

kilikini

Bob Myers wrote:
> "Andretta Kobik" > wrote in message
>> We are going to Maui May 05, do you have any tips on places to see,
>> visit, eat, or go to a luau ? Then we will be in San Diego a few
>> days, any tips? Thanks in advance, Andretta

> The best luau on Maui is easily the Old Lahaina Luau; we've
> been there twice and thouroughly enjoyed it both times.
> Their web site is:
>
> http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/index_main.html
>
> A few other suggestions re places to eat and things to do:
>
> - Whale watching is VERY big, at least from about December
> to March; never been there in May, but I suspect it's well after
> the peak season. Still, if there's anything to be seen at that time,
> I'd recommend getting on one of the cruises run by the Pacific
> Whale Foundation out of Lahaina harbor.

The whales leave Maui by March; there won't be any whale watching in May -
sorry. I lived on Maui for 10 years up until 6 months ago. Sigh - God I
want to go home! (Enough ranting about that.) I wouldn't suggest the book
Maui revealed. They tell you to go places that are actually on private
property and locals get severely angry.

My question to you is, what exactly do you *want* to do on Maui? Everything
is there from horseback rides to parasailing, hang gliding, hiking. For
food, try local kine grinds. Where will you be staying?

kili

-L.

Andretta Kobik wrote:
> We are going to Maui May 05, do you have any tips on places to see,
> visit, eat, or go to a luau ? Then we will be in San Diego a few

days,
> any tips?

If you like to hike, Torrey Pines State Reserve is fabo. The Scripps
Aquarium is also quite nice.

-L.

kilikini

-L. wrote:
> Andretta Kobik wrote:
>> We are going to Maui May 05, do you have any tips on places to see,
>> visit, eat, or go to a luau ? Then we will be in San Diego a few
>> days, any tips?

> If you like to hike, Torrey Pines State Reserve is fabo. The Scripps
> Aquarium is also quite nice.
>
> -L.

Um, I don't think either one of those places is on Maui - unless they
cropped up in the past 6 months since I've been gone. The aquarium is in
Ma'alaea, but I have no idea where Torrey Pines State Reserve is. Poli Poli
State park, sure. That's got nice hiking trails and great views.

kili

Andretta Kobik

thanks everyone for your tips , we are staying at the Maui Sheraton . we
would like to just stay by the pool again and let the world go by
but... not this time. i would like to go on the train and to the Luau at
Lele on Front St. ,also to the Catholic Church , Jimmy Buffets place and
the Hulu Grill at the Whalers Village. any other ideas?? thanks,
andretta

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 05 Apr 2005 05:26:17a, kilikini wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> -L. wrote:
>> Andretta Kobik wrote:
>>> We are going to Maui May 05, do you have any tips on places to see,
>>> visit, eat, or go to a luau ? Then we will be in San Diego a few
>>> days, any tips?

>> If you like to hike, Torrey Pines State Reserve is fabo. The Scripps
>> Aquarium is also quite nice.
>>
>> -L.

> Um, I don't think either one of those places is on Maui - unless they
> cropped up in the past 6 months since I've been gone. The aquarium is
> in Ma'alaea, but I have no idea where Torrey Pines State Reserve is.
> Poli Poli State park, sure. That's got nice hiking trails and great
> views.
>
> kili

Both are located in San Diego, CA.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
-L.

kilikini wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> > Andretta Kobik wrote:
> >> We are going to Maui May 05, do you have any tips on places to

see,
> >> visit, eat, or go to a luau ? Then we will be in San Diego a few
> >> days, any tips?

> > If you like to hike, Torrey Pines State Reserve is fabo. The

Scripps
> > Aquarium is also quite nice.
> >
> > -L.

> Um, I don't think either one of those places is on Maui - unless they
> cropped up in the past 6 months since I've been gone. The aquarium

is in
> Ma'alaea, but I have no idea where Torrey Pines State Reserve is.

Poli Poli
> State park, sure. That's got nice hiking trails and great views.
>
> kili

Sorry, I should have been more clear - I was responding to her last
inquiry about San Diego. Torrey Pines is in La Jolla (as is
Scripps).

-L.
(posting from my other account - dang Google!)

kilikini

-L. wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> -L. wrote:
>>>
>>> If you like to hike, Torrey Pines State Reserve is fabo. The
>>> Scripps Aquarium is also quite nice.
>>>
>>> -L.

>> Um, I don't think either one of those places is on Maui - unless they
>> cropped up in the past 6 months since I've been gone. The aquarium
>> is in Ma'alaea, but I have no idea where Torrey Pines State Reserve
>> is. Poli Poli State park, sure. That's got nice hiking trails and
>> great views.
>>
>> kili

> Sorry, I should have been more clear - I was responding to her last
> inquiry about San Diego. Torrey Pines is in La Jolla (as is
> Scripps).
>
> -L.
> (posting from my other account - dang Google!)

It's okay, I was just going, huh. That's weird! LOL.

kili

kilikini

Andretta Kobik wrote:
> thanks everyone for your tips , we are staying at the Maui Sheraton .
> we would like to just stay by the pool again and let the world go by
> but... not this time. i would like to go on the train and to the Luau
> at Lele on Front St. ,also to the Catholic Church , Jimmy Buffets
> place and the Hulu Grill at the Whalers Village. any other ideas??
> thanks, andretta

The Sheraton Maui is at Black Rock - best snorkeling on the island except
for Molokini Island. You will enjoy your stay there in Ka'anapali. Lots of
good shopping and restaurants on the beach. I recommend going to Basil
Tomatoes on the "other" side of Black Rock.

kili

MareCat

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Sorry, I should have been more clear - I was responding to her last
> inquiry about San Diego. Torrey Pines is in La Jolla (as is
> Scripps).

We love to go hiking at Torrey Pines when we visit DH's family in Sandy
Eggo. Beautiful views of the ocean.

We're going to Maui (first visit to Hawaii for us!) in October, so I've been
taking notes as I read this thread!

Mary

Charles Gifford

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...
kilikini wrote:
<snip>
>> but I have no idea where Torrey Pines State Reserve is.

Well, as Torrey Pines are only found in San Diego, it seems to me that
Torrey Pines State Reserve would be in Sandy Eggo. <grin> The Reserve is
adjacent to Torrey Pines State Park. This park is a beach of which the
southern 1/3 is a nude beach. It in turn is adjacent to Black's Beach -- a
city beach -- which is unofficially nude.

> Poli Poli
> > State park, sure. That's got nice hiking trails and great views.
> >
> > kili

> Sorry, I should have been more clear - I was responding to her last
> inquiry about San Diego. Torrey Pines is in La Jolla (as is
> Scripps).

To further clarify for non-natives, La Jolla is a neighborhood of San Diego,
not a separate entity except in the minds of the well-off people who live
there. I live in the neighborhood of Webster, but I am happy with saying I
live in Sandy Eggo. Of course Webster is at the other end of the economic
scale and so has no socio-geographic cashe.

Charlie, posting with a smile

> -L.
> (posting from my other account - dang Google!)

-L.

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> kilikini wrote:
> <snip>
> >> but I have no idea where Torrey Pines State Reserve is.

> Well, as Torrey Pines are only found in San Diego, it seems to me

that
> Torrey Pines State Reserve would be in Sandy Eggo. <grin> The Reserve

is
> adjacent to Torrey Pines State Park. This park is a beach of which

the
> southern 1/3 is a nude beach. It in turn is adjacent to Black's Beach

-- a
> city beach -- which is unofficially nude.
>
> > Poli Poli
> > > State park, sure. That's got nice hiking trails and great views.
> > >
> > > kili

> > Sorry, I should have been more clear - I was responding to her last
> > inquiry about San Diego. Torrey Pines is in La Jolla (as is
> > Scripps).

> To further clarify for non-natives, La Jolla is a neighborhood of San

Diego,
> not a separate entity except in the minds of the well-off people who

live
> there.

Or in the mind of an ex-scientitst who lives in Oregon but used to work
for a company based there. It has it's own address (city name), so I
thought it was a separate city.

-L.

-L.

MareCat wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Sorry, I should have been more clear - I was responding to her last
> > inquiry about San Diego. Torrey Pines is in La Jolla (as is
> > Scripps).

> We love to go hiking at Torrey Pines when we visit DH's family in

Sandy
> Eggo. Beautiful views of the ocean.
>
> We're going to Maui (first visit to Hawaii for us!) in October, so

I've been
> taking notes as I read this thread!
>
> Mary

Oooh - we were going to go to Maui this year as well, but decided to
just go to Scottsdale/Sedona. DS will be flying across America (OR to
VA) with us in May, so I didn't want to make him have to turn around
and fly all the way to HI a few weerks later. Please report back as
to where you stay, etc. I need some advice for next year!

-L.

Nexis

"Andretta Kobik" > wrote in message
> We are going to Maui May 05, do you have any tips on places to see,
> visit, eat, or go to a luau ? Then we will be in San Diego a few days,
> any tips? Thanks in advance, Andretta

Andretta,

Been to Oahu, and going to the Big Island, but still haven't hit Maui
unfortunately!
On the other hand, I live in San Diego! May is still early enough in the
year that you can hit some of the places, such as the Wild Animal Park and
Sea World, without the crowds being too ridiculous. There's also the Star of
India to visit (some nights, they show movies on the sails like a drive-in,
which is kinda cool), and Sea Port Village. That is, if you're into those
things. For something a little more relaxing, try Balboa Park, which is one
of the most beautiful parks I've seen. There's some truly amazing
architecture, and the museums are top notch as well. If you go, there's a
mildly pricey restaurant called the Prado...the food is quite tasty and if
you choose outdoor seating, you're eating in the park and it's a really very
relaxing way to have dinner.
A little further north there's another wonderful park, Torrey Pines State
Reserve. Golfing in that area too. There you have the Scripp's Aquarium,
which isn't as big as some others here in CA. There's also the Children's
Pool if you want to see some seals.
Of course, there's the beaches! Imperial Beach, Mission Beach, Mission Bay,
Pacific Beach, Solana Beach, Carlsbad State Beach, etc.

What area will you be staying in? Alot of people stay in Hotel Circle, which
is right down the road from me, and has easy access to most anything in San
Diego, because all the freeways meet in the area.

There's an abundance of dining, so if you can give us an idea of your
preferences, it will be alot easier to recommend something to your tastes! I
will say though, for breakfast, you can't beat Kono's. It's in Pacific
Beach, right in front of the Crystal Pier. It's cheap, but very good, and
there's seating right over the water so the view is a delight, especially
early in the morning before the crowds come in.

Have a wonderful trip! If you need help finding anything here in San Diego,
drop me a line, I'll be glad to help!

kimberly

Nexis

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Charles Gifford wrote:
> > "-L." > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > kilikini wrote:
> > <snip>

> > Well, as Torrey Pines are only found in San Diego, it seems to me

> that
> > Torrey Pines State Reserve would be in Sandy Eggo. <grin> The Reserve

> is
> > adjacent to Torrey Pines State Park. This park is a beach of which

> the
> > southern 1/3 is a nude beach. It in turn is adjacent to Black's Beach

> -- a
> > city beach -- which is unofficially nude.
> >
> > > Poli Poli

> > > Sorry, I should have been more clear - I was responding to her last
> > > inquiry about San Diego. Torrey Pines is in La Jolla (as is
> > > Scripps).

> > To further clarify for non-natives, La Jolla is a neighborhood of San

> Diego,
> > not a separate entity except in the minds of the well-off people who

> live
> > there.

> Or in the mind of an ex-scientitst who lives in Oregon but used to work
> for a company based there. It has it's own address (city name), so I
> thought it was a separate city.
>
> -L.

More like an enclave than a seperate city

kimberly

Alas, I have never been to Maui, only Oahu and the Big Island, but you
can hardly go wrong on the beaches.

If you like Mexican food, San Diego is a very good place for it. I can
personally recommend the Casa de Bandini. Excellent food, a beautiful
setting, and Margaritas the size of small hot tubs. It's in Old Town
San Diego, and is a converted Spanish style house. You can eat inside
or outside.

Melissa

"Andretta Kobik" > wrote in message
> thanks everyone for your tips , we are staying at the Maui Sheraton . we
> would like to just stay by the pool again and let the world go by
> but... not this time. i would like to go on the train and to the Luau at
> Lele on Front St. ,also to the Catholic Church , Jimmy Buffets place and
> the Hulu Grill at the Whalers Village. any other ideas?? thanks,
> andretta

Stopped there every year for many years on the way to Kauai -

spots (spelling is close, I hope) -

shopping in Lahaina on the strip by the ocean

Hard rock cafe in Lahaina

Penguins at the Hyatt on Kaanapali

if you are of the mind, or out of it, and have nerves of steel, drive the
road around the north of the island (the south road is worse, if that is
possible) .

The oceanographic institute - just north of Kihei

Go up country on 378 to Haleakala - if the McDonalds is still next to that
road upcountry and it still has local stuff, the Hawaiian fare on the menu
is neat to see -(e.g., portugese sausage biscuit with egg).

Try some loco moco (breakfast) at a local small eatery - and unless you can
down 2500 calories for breakfast - DO NOT get the large. >

The Japanese restaurant in the Grand Wailiea in Wailiea is excellent (don't
know if its still there - we went there for years after we "opened" the GW
when it was a Hyatt -years ago) - and when I was there years back, I could
get puffer fish sashimi -
( and after you get the bill for the evenings repast there, you might be
tempted to ask for the puffer spines)

The Sugar train for a change of pace

Longs in Kihei just as you hit the long slow stretch just left at (what was)
the first light coming down 350 out of Kahalui - if its still there (rumor
about chain buying them out some time back).

Ace stores - lots of little stuff, neat. The one in the Lahaina shopping
center (or the ones on the strip) was kind of cool.

Ensemada, macadamia nut pies, and the Ice cream from Kauai - name escapes
me -

Mahi-mahi - spam - (it IS Hawaii and if you want to do what the natives ...)

a super market to browse the aisles - and the store in Kapaau ( I think
that's the town - north enough out of Kanaapali to think you should have
turned back - with snacks and "sandwiches" as local as you get. )

diving - horseback riding - chasing feral chickens in a golf cart while
golfing -

rent a cycle or a sports car in lahaina (I think its there) - and stay off
the north or south road on motorcycles or sports cars - the one -yes ONE-
lane 5 MPH with 1000 feet down and 500 feet up hairpins and no shoulder is
not the place to check out a new bike or get used to a clutch backing up on
that road, or a thousand clutchings or more on the ride.
And no, no one will laugh when you open the driver door to check the
clearance between the tires and the edge (not shoulder, edge) - they will be
praying

Charles Gifford

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Charles Gifford wrote:
> >
> > To further clarify for non-natives, La Jolla is a neighborhood of San

> Diego,
> > not a separate entity except in the minds of the well-off people who

> live
> > there.

> Or in the mind of an ex-scientitst who lives in Oregon but used to work
> for a company based there. It has it's own address (city name), so I
> thought it was a separate city.
>
> -L.

Writing La Jolla instead of San Diego and getting it delivered has more to
do with the fact that the postal workers aren't idiots than to having "it's
won address". Mail addressed to Hillcrest, North Park, San YO_sidro, Allied
Gardens, Penne Skitos, San Bernardo, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach or Mission
Beach will also get to it's addressee though all are neighbourhoods and not
city names. The residents of La Jolla get really upset when a business not
located in that neighbourhood uses the name La Jolla in thier name. Hee,
hee!

Charlie

OB Food: This is better than you might think!

APRICOT CRISP

Source: Betty Crocker Cookbook

2 17-oz. cans apricot halves, drained
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Heat oven to 375F. Grease an 8x8x2-inch pan. Arrange apricots in pan. Mix
remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over apricots. Bake about 30 minutes or
until topping is golden brown and apricots are tender. Serve warm with cream
or ice cream. 6 servings.

smithfarms pure kona

you should GOOGLE soc.culture.hawaii with the same request. It has
been answered there numerous times and once very recently. you'll
have more information that you can imagine and some from current Maui
residents.

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

Bob

Charlie wrote:

> Writing La Jolla instead of San Diego and getting it delivered has more to
> do with the fact that the postal workers aren't idiots than to having
> "it's won address". Mail addressed to Hillcrest, North Park, San YO_sidro,
> Allied Gardens, Penne Skitos, San Bernardo, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach or
> Mission Beach will also get to it's addressee though all are
> neighbourhoods and not city names. The residents of La Jolla get really
> upset when a business not located in that neighbourhood uses the name La
> Jolla in thier name. Hee, hee!

Although it's correct that La Jolla isn't a city officially, La Jolla *does*
have its own post office and zip code.

From the USPS web site:

Post Office - La Jolla
1140 Wall St
La Jolla, CA 92037-9998
Phone: (800) 275-8777
Fax: (858) 454-9421

Note that it says "La Jolla" rather than "San Diego," even though it *is*
technically in the city of San Diego.

(I used to live in the so-called "Golden Triangle," and got all too familiar
with the various demarcations between La Jolla and its neighbors.)

Bob

-L.

Bob wrote:
> Although it's correct that La Jolla isn't a city officially, La Jolla

*does*
> have its own post office and zip code.
>
> From the USPS web site:
>
> Post Office - La Jolla
> 1140 Wall St
> La Jolla, CA 92037-9998
> Phone: (800) 275-8777
> Fax: (858) 454-9421
>
> Note that it says "La Jolla" rather than "San Diego," even though it

*is*
> technically in the city of San Diego.
>
> (I used to live in the so-called "Golden Triangle," and got all too

familiar
> with the various demarcations between La Jolla and its neighbors.)
>
> Bob

That's what I thought, as well. It also has a separate listing and a
city "dot" on every map I have seen.

-L.

Charles Gifford

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Charlie wrote:
>
> > Writing La Jolla instead of San Diego and getting it delivered has more

> > do with the fact that the postal workers aren't idiots than to having
> > "it's won address". Mail addressed to Hillcrest, North Park, San

YO_sidro,
> > Allied Gardens, Penne Skitos, San Bernardo, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach

or
> > Mission Beach will also get to it's addressee though all are
> > neighbourhoods and not city names. The residents of La Jolla get really
> > upset when a business not located in that neighbourhood uses the name La
> > Jolla in thier name. Hee, hee!

> Although it's correct that La Jolla isn't a city officially, La Jolla

*does*
> have its own post office and zip code.

So do North Park, Hillcrest, Grantville, and all the rest. That is how it is
organized.

Charlie, in Webster, CA

Ginny Sher

>> Although it's correct that La Jolla isn't a city officially, La Jolla

>*does*
>> have its own post office and zip code.

Likewise in many communities of Los Angeles (i.e. Cheviot Hills,
Brentwood, Tarzana, Mar Vista, Northridge, North Hollywood,
Westchester, etc.) These are all in the city of Los Angeles with an
LA zip code, but more commonly referred to as each individual
neighborhood. I think there is a certain amount of status associated
with certain neighborhoods... or not. LOL

Ginny

Bob

Charlie wrote:

>> Although it's correct that La Jolla isn't a city officially, La Jolla
>> *does* have its own post office and zip code.
>>

> So do North Park, Hillcrest, Grantville, and all the rest. That is how it
> is
> organized.

Wrong! North Park, Hillcrest, Grantville, all have SAN DIEGO post offices.
Here's how you can check: Go to www.usps.com, select "find a zip code",
select lookup a zip code "by city", and enter any of those other
neighborhoods. You'll get an error message. But enter "La Jolla" and lo and
behold, you get a list of five zip codes.

(Before writing this, I tried North Park, Hillcrest, Grantville -- which
somehow got transmogrified to Graniteville and was returned as invalid but
associated with Nevada City, University City, Paradise Hills, and Logan
Heights. All returned an error message. Check for yourself.)

Bob

Charles Gifford

"Bob" > wrote in message

> Wrong! North Park, Hillcrest, Grantville, all have SAN DIEGO post

offices.
> Here's how you can check: Go to www.usps.com, select "find a zip code",
> select lookup a zip code "by city", and enter any of those other
> neighborhoods. You'll get an error message. But enter "La Jolla" and lo

and
> behold, you get a list of five zip codes.

All, including La Jolla, are San Diego post offices. It has been 38 years
since I worked at the main post office here in SD (college job in parcel
post and international mail sorting), but North Park is 92104, Hillcrest is
92103, I forget Grantville (it may be 92116), 92115 is Rolando/College Area,
92105 is City Hights, I think Point Loma/Ocean Beach is 92107. Rancho
Bernardo used to be 92128 I think. My memory is a poor thing. As for La
Jolla having 5 codes, I imagine that UCSD may have one of them. Getting 5
codes in La Jolla would mean expanding what most people call La Jolla.

> (Before writing this, I tried North Park, Hillcrest, Grantville -- which
> somehow got transmogrified to Graniteville and was returned as invalid but
> associated with Nevada City, University City, Paradise Hills, and Logan
> Heights. All returned an error message. Check for yourself.)
>
> Bob

We have Paradise Hills and Logan Heights, but both are too poor to have a
separate identity. <s> Neither do they have a local post office as I
remember. Logan Heights shares 92101 with parts of downtown I think. Its
been a long time.

Charlie, having fun

OB FOOD: I made this recently after an absence of a few years on my table.
It was as good as I remembered it.

BACON POTATO SOUP

Source: unknown

1/4 lb. bacon, diced
1/4 cup diced celery
3 leeks
2 tbs. flour
2 cups water
2 cups milk
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. chopped parsley

Slice the leeks lengthwise. Remove the root end and most of the green end.
Slice the leeks across the grain and soak in water until needed. Add the
bacon pieces to a heavy saucepan and cook until brown. Add the celery and
leeks. Cook until just soft. Add the flour and cook for 3 minutes. Add the
water and milk. Slowly bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, add the potatoes
and simmer for 1 hour, or until the vegetables are tender. Check the
seasonings. Serve warm garnished with parsley.

Maui Tuna Duckie ® Recipes 0 02-06-2005 08:59 PM
Hawaiian/Maui Food MauiDirect Marketplace 0 10-04-2005 09:16 PM
Wineshops: Maui [email protected] Wine 0 29-11-2004 08:28 PM