Wayne Boatwright

Default Made this tonight...

It's taken me a long time to duplicate the rice pudding my grandmother
made when I was a kid. She never passed down a recipe. It had to be a
baked, custard-based pudding that was creamy, not dry, with plenty of rice
surrounded by a rich custard. I arrived at this mix a while back and I've
been very pleased with it. This is rich and not for the faint of heart!

* Exported from MasterCook *

The Best Rice Pudding

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Cup Water
2/3 Cup Short-grain Rice -- (pudding rice)
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Whole Milk -- scalded and warm
1/2 Cup Zante Currants
1 Cup Heavy Cream
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2/3 Cup Sugar -- plus 2 tablespoons
2 Eggs
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Heavy Cream -- optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.

Bring the water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add the rice and salt.
Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the milk and the
currants, cover, and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes more, or
until the rice is very tender.

In a small bowl, blend the cream, vanilla, 3/4 cup of sugar, nutmeg, and
eggs. Add to the rice. Pour into the baking dish, sprinkle with the 2
tablespoons of sugar and dust with the cinnamon. Place in a slightly
larger ovenproof dish. Add 1 inch of boiling water to the larger dish and
place in the oven. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room
temperature with heavy cream, if desired.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 318 Calories; 14g Fat (40.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 96mg
Cholesterol; 190mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2
Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES: Some cooks like to use arborio rice. The grains of
aroborio rice are too large for this recipe.

The pudding is done when almost firm and still slightly
trembles.

The currants may be soaked in brandy or rum, if desired.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974