Wayne Boatwright

Default Made this tonight...

It's taken me a long time to duplicate the rice pudding my grandmother
made when I was a kid. She never passed down a recipe. It had to be a
baked, custard-based pudding that was creamy, not dry, with plenty of rice
surrounded by a rich custard. I arrived at this mix a while back and I've
been very pleased with it. This is rich and not for the faint of heart!

* Exported from MasterCook *

The Best Rice Pudding

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Cup Water
2/3 Cup Short-grain Rice -- (pudding rice)
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Whole Milk -- scalded and warm
1/2 Cup Zante Currants
1 Cup Heavy Cream
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2/3 Cup Sugar -- plus 2 tablespoons
2 Eggs
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Heavy Cream -- optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.

Bring the water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add the rice and salt.
Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the milk and the
currants, cover, and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes more, or
until the rice is very tender.

In a small bowl, blend the cream, vanilla, 3/4 cup of sugar, nutmeg, and
eggs. Add to the rice. Pour into the baking dish, sprinkle with the 2
tablespoons of sugar and dust with the cinnamon. Place in a slightly
larger ovenproof dish. Add 1 inch of boiling water to the larger dish and
place in the oven. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room
temperature with heavy cream, if desired.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 318 Calories; 14g Fat (40.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 96mg
Cholesterol; 190mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2
Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES: Some cooks like to use arborio rice. The grains of
aroborio rice are too large for this recipe.

The pudding is done when almost firm and still slightly
trembles.

The currants may be soaked in brandy or rum, if desired.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Terry Pulliam Burd

On 19 Mar 2005 05:38:08 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>It's taken me a long time to duplicate the rice pudding my grandmother
>made when I was a kid. She never passed down a recipe. It had to be a
>baked, custard-based pudding that was creamy, not dry, with plenty of rice
>surrounded by a rich custard. I arrived at this mix a while back and I've
>been very pleased with it. This is rich and not for the faint of heart!

<snip recipe>

Thanks, Wayne. The DH loves rice pudding and mine, while acceptable,
isn't a wowser. Will try this recipe this weekend.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 19 Mar 2005 11:33:48a, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> On 19 Mar 2005 05:38:08 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>It's taken me a long time to duplicate the rice pudding my grandmother
>>made when I was a kid. She never passed down a recipe. It had to be a
>>baked, custard-based pudding that was creamy, not dry, with plenty of
>>rice surrounded by a rich custard. I arrived at this mix a while back
>>and I've been very pleased with it. This is rich and not for the faint
>>of heart!

> <snip recipe>
>
> Thanks, Wayne. The DH loves rice pudding and mine, while acceptable,
> isn't a wowser. Will try this recipe this weekend.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

'Glad this sounds good to you, Terry. Please let me know how you and your
husband like it. Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
AlleyGator

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>It's taken me a long time to duplicate the rice pudding my grandmother
>made when I was a kid.

OMG Wayne. I have always dreamed of my grandma's rice pudding and I
think this must be it. Jeeze, I have vivid flashbacks of a rabbit
dinner with creamed peas and new potatoes (from her own acre-size
garden, age 90 no less) and rice pudding and Lawrence Welk for an hour
in the "front room" on Saturday night, right before a trip to the
claw-footed cast-iron bathtub in a room heated by "the monster"
followed by an hour of her antique player piano with the
thousand-year-old rolls. I'd give anything to go back to those days
for one second. God must be reallly tired of her pestering him by
now. She was a perfectionist that even HE may have trouble keeping
up with.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 19 Mar 2005 07:33:41p, AlleyGator wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>It's taken me a long time to duplicate the rice pudding my grandmother
>>made when I was a kid.

> OMG Wayne. I have always dreamed of my grandma's rice pudding and I
> think this must be it. Jeeze, I have vivid flashbacks of a rabbit
> dinner with creamed peas and new potatoes (from her own acre-size
> garden, age 90 no less) and rice pudding and Lawrence Welk for an hour
> in the "front room" on Saturday night, right before a trip to the
> claw-footed cast-iron bathtub in a room heated by "the monster"
> followed by an hour of her antique player piano with the
> thousand-year-old rolls. I'd give anything to go back to those days
> for one second. God must be reallly tired of her pestering him by
> now. She was a perfectionist that even HE may have trouble keeping
> up with.

Sounds like an evening in my dad's mother house and a meal she would have
served. The rabbit would have been fried. Love the creamed peas and new
potatoes (sometimes it was fresh green beans and new potatoes). Aren't
memories wonderful?!? Ya gotta try this pudding. :-) It will definitely
be a taste of childhood.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Terry Pulliam Burd

On 20 Mar 2005 02:55:33 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>'Glad this sounds good to you, Terry. Please let me know how you and your
>husband like it. Enjoy!

Okay, Mr. B, am reporting back: the DH said something along the lines
of, "Wow! What did you do to jazz this up?" IOW, it was a smash hit
and I am now telling the kids that it's an old family recipe <veg>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 22 Mar 2005 08:31:58p, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 20 Mar 2005 02:55:33 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>'Glad this sounds good to you, Terry. Please let me know how you and your
>>husband like it. Enjoy!

> Okay, Mr. B, am reporting back: the DH said something along the lines
> of, "Wow! What did you do to jazz this up?" IOW, it was a smash hit
> and I am now telling the kids that it's an old family recipe <veg>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

Terry, I'm so glad it was a hit! Always makes me feel good to know that a
favorite of mine is enjoyed by someone else. Put your name on it!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974