Kate Dicey

Patrick Wallace wrote:

> "There is no finer investment than putting milk into babies."
> Churchill, I believe.
>
> Does anyone else remember having to cope with the ice in the morning
> milk, the daily fish oil capsules (ugh) and the rose hip syrup (yum)
> in said milk puddings...?

What I remember form my first school is the head teacher tipping all
those bottles into a large saucepan on the old fashioned coke stove, and
making hot chocolate for break time when the milk froze! Wouldn't be
allowed now...

The other milk thing I remember is from Malta in the 60's... The milk
was flavoured because it was made from powdered milk, as the cows didn't
make enough in the hot summers... I loathed it, so I used to hang back
until it was all gone (you could always count on some greedy soul
snaffling an extra!). Then I'd tell the teacher I hadn't got any, and
be sent to Mr Zammit, the caretaker, who gave you a whole half pint, icy
cold out of the fridge, unadulterated, and in a GLASS!

The other thing was that in one class we made a working model of a
volcano, and the best fuel for the lava was a bottle of school pink
milk, tipped into a lab flask and heated inside the volcano by a mini
spirit lamp. When it boiled, it frothed up and spat out the top in a
most impressive fashion!

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!