Patrick Wallace

Default British school dinners

"There is no finer investment than putting milk into babies."
Churchill, I believe.

Does anyone else remember having to cope with the ice in the morning
milk, the daily fish oil capsules (ugh) and the rose hip syrup (yum)
in said milk puddings...?

PJW

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:03:38 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address
> wrote:
>The cook was effectively told to do it. British schools were given
>a ration of milk powder to get into their kids. A *lot* of milk
>powder. Putting it in blancmange was one of the few ways to disguise
>it.

Kate Dicey

Patrick Wallace wrote:

> "There is no finer investment than putting milk into babies."
> Churchill, I believe.
>
> Does anyone else remember having to cope with the ice in the morning
> milk, the daily fish oil capsules (ugh) and the rose hip syrup (yum)
> in said milk puddings...?

What I remember form my first school is the head teacher tipping all
those bottles into a large saucepan on the old fashioned coke stove, and
making hot chocolate for break time when the milk froze! Wouldn't be
allowed now...

The other milk thing I remember is from Malta in the 60's... The milk
was flavoured because it was made from powdered milk, as the cows didn't
make enough in the hot summers... I loathed it, so I used to hang back
until it was all gone (you could always count on some greedy soul
snaffling an extra!). Then I'd tell the teacher I hadn't got any, and
be sent to Mr Zammit, the caretaker, who gave you a whole half pint, icy
cold out of the fridge, unadulterated, and in a GLASS!

The other thing was that in one class we made a working model of a
volcano, and the best fuel for the lava was a bottle of school pink
milk, tipped into a lab flask and heated inside the volcano by a mini
spirit lamp. When it boiled, it frothed up and spat out the top in a
most impressive fashion!

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Back to School - Cooking School That Is neha123 General Cooking 1 26-06-2010 05:26 PM
summer cooking/baking school for high school student? Kate Connally General Cooking 8 18-01-2008 09:54 PM
TV dinners Anon Diabetic 61 16-02-2007 09:25 PM
How do your dinners come together? Ludmillia General Cooking 9 31-08-2006 11:55 PM