Damsel in dis Dress

"Kat Newsgroups" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>I'm Looking for low(er) carb crock pot recipes.
>Any suggestions?
>(I'm sure I'll get responses telling me how horrible lowcarbing is. Don't
>bother, I have lost 175 lbs .. so you will have to tell someone else.)
>I'm looking for savory meet dishes .... something with a little spice and
>zing to them ... I'm a little tired of pot roast and roasted chicken.
>Thanks!

Yay, low-carb!

This recipe was originally listed as choucroute garni. The lovely Victor
Sack has assured me that it's actually sauerkraut stew. Either way, it's
great! The recipe doesn't call for it to be made in a crockpot, but that's
how I cook it after browning the meat in a frying pan, then deglazing with
some sauerkraut juice, which I add to the ingredients in the crock pot. I
suppose it's time I updated this, huh? Oh! If you don't have juniper
berries, a glug of gin will take their place nicely.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sauerkraut Stew

Recipe By :National Pork Producers Council
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : fall/winter main dishes
pork

-------- ------------ ------------------------------*--
4 pounds sauerkraut -- rinsed and drained
1/2 pound bacon -- diced
2 large onions -- coarsely chopped
3 carrots -- pared and sliced
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 bay leaves
10 black peppercorns
10 juniper berries
4 whole cloves
3 cups Riesling wine
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 pound pork loin, lean, boneless -- cubed
1/2 pound ham, extra lean -- cubed
1 pound smoked sausage -- sliced
1 pound bratwurst -- sliced

In a large Dutch oven, over medium-low heat, render bacon fat; add onion
and carrots and sauté slowly; stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes.
Place parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns, juniper berries and cloves in
cheesecloth bag or large tea strainer. Add to pot along with sauerkraut,
wine and broth. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add meats to
pot, stir, cover and simmer another hour and 20 minutes. Serve immediately
with pumpernickel or Jewish rye bread. Or refrigerate overnight and reheat
to serve.

Cuisine:
"French"
S(Internet address):