pcw > wrote:
> Lee,
>
> Believe me!! I "feel" your pain! I pronounce it "pinot gris" ...
> which, I believe is Italian for "Damn!! this stuff is fermenting
> again!!"

Heh.

> So .. 0.2 um will do the trick (0.45um will) .. if it IS 0.2um ...
> "absolute"! Remember, the key to sterile filtration is "confidence" in
> your pads and "sanitation"!!! It is no easy trick, IMHO!

I've got one of those Presque Isle 10" stainless cylindrical filters.
The .2um filter I have is two-stage microfiberglass/polycarbonate job.
I'm thinking it will do the trick.

> But, I'm still puzzled. Did you re-chill the wine? Did it clear
> again? It must be "crystal clear" before you run it thru a sterile
> filter!

No, have not rechilled it.

> I don't use sorbate, so I don't know if you added enough to stun the
> yeast. You didn't say what your SO2 went up to after your last
> addition ... you have a high pH so you still might not have whacked the
> ML bugs with SO2. I guess we still don't know what started up when you
> raised the temp ... primary or MLF.

I added the sorbate to the primary fermentation. Like I said, that seemed
to quiet things down significantly. I've not checked the SO2 levels since
I made the addition on Sunday, but I expect the levels will be more acceptable.
I'll check that tonight.

I also ran a chomotography to check for ML activity. There *might* be something
going on in that regard, as there faint spots for both malic and lactic acids.
I suppose I can hit it with some lysozyme, just to be sure. On the other hand,
there appears to be *zero* activity that I can see - no bubbles, nothing.

I'm open to suggestions. Lysozyme addition? Coarse filtration followed by
sterile filtration? Re-chilling? Gelatin? All of the above?

--Lee