Hunt

In article .com>,
says...

>Hello,
>
>I'am looking for a buttery Chardonnay. My wife loves the Kendall
>Jackson Vitners Reserve(KJ), but she mentioned that when she tried the
>2004 bottle that it was horrible, and the rest have went along the same
>line. I have tried to tell her that for the past few years that they
>have really been going downhill. Suggestions?
>
>Sincerley.
>
>Tim

Along with the suggestions, recommendations, you have received so far, I'd
like to add a few:

Talbot (made fortune in ties) and does several North & Central Coast, CA/US
Chards that exhibit a buttery characteristic.

Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chard

Newton, both their "red label" and their "Unfiltered" are quite "big" Chards.

As Ed points out, most of the really "big" ones will cost a bit and are not
likely to be found at Costco, except for the Far Niente, which is still ~US$
40/blt.

A really good wine merchant should be able to direct you to some from his/her
stock, which will be closer to the K-J VR Chard in price. I have not tasted
one in several years, but feel that they probably wanted to go a bit more
international in their handling/production of the wine, even though THEY
basically created the demand for "big" Chards. Some even claim that theirs had
a bit of residual sugar for the mass appeal, but I do not know this for a
fact.

Of the ones mentioned so far, all are very good examples of well made, but
heavy Chards. FWIW, the Rombauer is the favorite Chard of the folk at the
Silver Oak tasting room.

Hunt