Default Buttery Chardonnay Requested

Hello,

I'am looking for a buttery Chardonnay. My wife loves the Kendall
Jackson Vitners Reserve(KJ), but she mentioned that when she tried the
2004 bottle that it was horrible, and the rest have went along the same
line. I have tried to tell her that for the past few years that they
have really been going downhill. Suggestions?

Sincerley.

Tim

LSimon

Rombauer chardonnay is very good and nice and buttery.

Rombauer is a napa valley vineyard, related to the Rombauer who wrote
"Joy of Cooking". They are sold in most wine stores and direct to some
states through their web site http://www.rombauer.com/

wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'am looking for a buttery Chardonnay. My wife loves the Kendall
> Jackson Vitners Reserve(KJ), but she mentioned that when she tried

the
> 2004 bottle that it was horrible, and the rest have went along the

same
> line. I have tried to tell her that for the past few years that they
> have really been going downhill. Suggestions?
>
> Sincerley.
>
> Tim

Ed Rasimus

On 22 Feb 2005 07:26:48 -0800, wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'am looking for a buttery Chardonnay. My wife loves the Kendall
>Jackson Vitners Reserve(KJ), but she mentioned that when she tried the
>2004 bottle that it was horrible, and the rest have went along the same
>line. I have tried to tell her that for the past few years that they
>have really been going downhill. Suggestions?
>
>Sincerley.
>
>Tim

I'm a fan of "buttery" Chardonnay as well, preferring it to the
acidic, fruity variations--at least when dealing with New World wines.
There is no comparision with the classic white Burgundies.

But, you can do a lot of tasting and spending among the California
wines before you find what you are looking for. You can get
recommendations for someone's favorite "buttery" Chardonnay, but you
might not be able to find it in your local store. You can read
"shelf-talkers" to see if the descriptors are what you are looking for
in the wine. And, you can aim toward the more "big bucks" Chards which
tend to be a lot fuller in the mouth than the mass market bottlings. A
couple of $$$ Chards that lean toward what you are seeking are Neyer's
and Far Niente, but both will dent your wallet a bit.

My experience has been that Australia is really doing some fat
Chardonnays that are inexpensive. Some are austere, but most seem to
flaunt the varietal characteristics. Try a few.

And, there is always Rex Goliath who makes a very full Chardonnay that
is dirt cheap.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Ian Hayward

"Buttery" is one of the less easy terms to define and quantify IMO, but this
satisfies my understanding of it nicely:

http://www.penfolds.com/TheRange/Tas...Chardonnay.pdf

Regards,

Ian

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> On 22 Feb 2005 07:26:48 -0800, wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'am looking for a buttery Chardonnay. My wife loves the Kendall
> >Jackson Vitners Reserve(KJ), but she mentioned that when she tried the
> >2004 bottle that it was horrible, and the rest have went along the same
> >line. I have tried to tell her that for the past few years that they
> >have really been going downhill. Suggestions?
> >
> >Sincerley.
> >
> >Tim

> I'm a fan of "buttery" Chardonnay as well, preferring it to the
> acidic, fruity variations--at least when dealing with New World wines.
> There is no comparision with the classic white Burgundies.
>
> But, you can do a lot of tasting and spending among the California
> wines before you find what you are looking for. You can get
> recommendations for someone's favorite "buttery" Chardonnay, but you
> might not be able to find it in your local store. You can read
> "shelf-talkers" to see if the descriptors are what you are looking for
> in the wine. And, you can aim toward the more "big bucks" Chards which
> tend to be a lot fuller in the mouth than the mass market bottlings. A
> couple of $$$ Chards that lean toward what you are seeking are Neyer's
> and Far Niente, but both will dent your wallet a bit.
>
> My experience has been that Australia is really doing some fat
> Chardonnays that are inexpensive. Some are austere, but most seem to
> flaunt the varietal characteristics. Try a few.
>
> And, there is always Rex Goliath who makes a very full Chardonnay that
> is dirt cheap.
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"

www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:53:01 GMT, "Ian Hayward"
> wrote:

>"Buttery" is one of the less easy terms to define and quantify IMO, but this
>satisfies my understanding of it nicely:
>
>http://www.penfolds.com/TheRange/Tas...Chardonnay.pdf
>
>Regards,
>
>Ian

I'm not sure. I certainly agree with the "maleolactic fermentation"
aspect and the "butterscotch" and the "French oak", but the comments
regarding the acidity, the citric notes, and "grapefruit-like finish"
are off-putting in the search for "buttery".

I like the butterscotch and the oak (ohmigod, I'll be ostracized
forever.....). But, I also like vanilla and warmth and those non-acid
fruits like the peach and mango mentioned.

Maybe we've just highlighted the difficulty in finding a wine to meet
a seeker's ideal....

I've not experienced Penfold's "The Valleys", but will surely look for
it. OTOH, Penfold's low-end "Rawson's Retreat" is absolute dreck!
IMHO.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Hunt

In article .com>,
says...

>Hello,
>
>I'am looking for a buttery Chardonnay. My wife loves the Kendall
>Jackson Vitners Reserve(KJ), but she mentioned that when she tried the
>2004 bottle that it was horrible, and the rest have went along the same
>line. I have tried to tell her that for the past few years that they
>have really been going downhill. Suggestions?
>
>Sincerley.
>
>Tim

Along with the suggestions, recommendations, you have received so far, I'd
like to add a few:

Talbot (made fortune in ties) and does several North & Central Coast, CA/US
Chards that exhibit a buttery characteristic.

Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chard

Newton, both their "red label" and their "Unfiltered" are quite "big" Chards.

As Ed points out, most of the really "big" ones will cost a bit and are not
likely to be found at Costco, except for the Far Niente, which is still ~US$
40/blt.

A really good wine merchant should be able to direct you to some from his/her
stock, which will be closer to the K-J VR Chard in price. I have not tasted
one in several years, but feel that they probably wanted to go a bit more
international in their handling/production of the wine, even though THEY
basically created the demand for "big" Chards. Some even claim that theirs had
a bit of residual sugar for the mass appeal, but I do not know this for a
fact.

Of the ones mentioned so far, all are very good examples of well made, but
heavy Chards. FWIW, the Rombauer is the favorite Chard of the folk at the
Silver Oak tasting room.

Hunt

Ian Hayward

Some of the better Valleys vintages keep very well, and become more
"butterscotch" and less acidic as they age. Last year I bought three
bottles of 1998 as a bin-end at a cooking-wine price, figuring that I could
use it for precisely that if it proved to be undrinkable. The verdict was
two very drinkable bottles and one superbly smooth, honeyed, rounded and,
yes, buttery mature Chardonnay. The slightly more expensive Thomas Hyland
is very nice too, although in a lighter style, if you don't have a Yattana
budget.

Ian

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:53:01 GMT, "Ian Hayward"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Buttery" is one of the less easy terms to define and quantify IMO, but

this
> >satisfies my understanding of it nicely:
> >
> >http://www.penfolds.com/TheRange/Tas...Chardonnay.pdf
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Ian

> I'm not sure. I certainly agree with the "maleolactic fermentation"
> aspect and the "butterscotch" and the "French oak", but the comments
> regarding the acidity, the citric notes, and "grapefruit-like finish"
> are off-putting in the search for "buttery".
>
> I like the butterscotch and the oak (ohmigod, I'll be ostracized
> forever.....). But, I also like vanilla and warmth and those non-acid
> fruits like the peach and mango mentioned.
>
> Maybe we've just highlighted the difficulty in finding a wine to meet
> a seeker's ideal....
>
> I've not experienced Penfold's "The Valleys", but will surely look for
> it. OTOH, Penfold's low-end "Rawson's Retreat" is absolute dreck!
> IMHO.
>
> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:34:28 GMT, "Ian Hayward"
> wrote:

>Some of the better Valleys vintages keep very well, and become more
>"butterscotch" and less acidic as they age. Last year I bought three
>bottles of 1998 as a bin-end at a cooking-wine price, figuring that I could
>use it for precisely that if it proved to be undrinkable. The verdict was
>two very drinkable bottles and one superbly smooth, honeyed, rounded and,
>yes, buttery mature Chardonnay. The slightly more expensive Thomas Hyland
>is very nice too, although in a lighter style, if you don't have a Yattana
>budget.
>
>Ian

Since we've gotten into this "buttery" thing, I went into my Cellar!
database and dug through the Chardonnay's I've got notes on and found
this:

Schug Carneros Estate '96--repeated references to "buttery".
Caleran Central Coast '97--"buttery"

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:34:28 GMT, "Ian Hayward"
> wrote:

>Some of the better Valleys vintages keep very well, and become more
>"butterscotch" and less acidic as they age. Last year I bought three
>bottles of 1998 as a bin-end at a cooking-wine price, figuring that I could
>use it for precisely that if it proved to be undrinkable. The verdict was
>two very drinkable bottles and one superbly smooth, honeyed, rounded and,
>yes, buttery mature Chardonnay. The slightly more expensive Thomas Hyland
>is very nice too, although in a lighter style, if you don't have a Yattana
>budget.
>
>Ian

Since we got into this "buttery" thing, I went sorting through my
Cellar! notes and found these:

Schug Carneros Estate '96--repeated reference to "buttery".
Calera Central Coast '97--"buttery"
Neyer's '96--notes from '99-'01 repeatedly referring to "butter" and
"vanilla" then in '03 talking about loss of that with more acid.
Paradise Ridge Barrel Select, Nagasawa Vineyards '96--"buttery"

Which is all "chardonnay over the dam" since none of those vintages
would still be around dealer's shelves. I don't drink a lot of whites
and not that many Chardonnays among the whites that I do drink--I'm
certainly not "ABC", but I simply enjoy reds better and will find
almost any excuse to get out the big glasses.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Bill Loftin

Hunt wrote:
>>I'am looking for a buttery Chardonnay. My wife loves the Kendall
>>Jackson Vitners Reserve(KJ), but she mentioned that when she tried the
>>2004 bottle that it was horrible, and the rest have went along the same
>>line. I have tried to tell her that for the past few years that they
>>have really been going downhill. Suggestions?

> Talbot (made fortune in ties) and does several North & Central Coast, CA/US
> Chards that exhibit a buttery characteristic.
> Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chard
> Newton, both their "red label" and their "Unfiltered" are quite "big" Chards.
> As Ed points out, most of the really "big" ones will cost a bit and are not
> likely to be found at Costco, except for the Far Niente, which is still ~US$
> 40/blt.

Two of the more upscale buttery Chardonnays are Murphy Goode Reserve and Chalk
Hill anything. Chalk Hill even puts their SB through a malolactic fermentation.
(yuck)
There are a lot of cheap buttery wines too. Bogle, Fess Parker, Seven Peaks
Chateau St Jean Sonoma, Berringer Founders Reserve and Ravenswood Vintners Blend.

D. Gerasimatos

In article .com>,
LSimon > wrote:

>Rombauer chardonnay is very good and nice and buttery.
>
>Rombauer is a napa valley vineyard, related to the Rombauer who wrote
>"Joy of Cooking". They are sold in most wine stores and direct to some
>states through their web site http://www.rombauer.com/

Rombauer is a very good Cal chard for the price. Second this
recommendation. It will cost about $25, though. I think that is more
than the KJ.

Dimitri

Hunt

In article >,
says...

>In article .com>,
>LSimon > wrote:
>>
>>Rombauer chardonnay is very good and nice and buttery.
>>
>>Rombauer is a napa valley vineyard, related to the Rombauer who wrote
>>"Joy of Cooking". They are sold in most wine stores and direct to some
>>states through their web site
http://www.rombauer.com/

>Rombauer is a very good Cal chard for the price. Second this
>recommendation. It will cost about $25, though. I think that is more
>than the KJ.
>

>Dimitri

Yes, in AZ/US it runs ~US$27 and the K-J is often had for ~US$9/btl. However,
I feel that the Rombauer is well worth the price difference, if one likes
bigger, fruity Chards.

So often people ask is Ch X really worth 500% more than Old Mundane Cab
Sauvignon California Central Valley? The answer is, usually, but it all
depends on one's budget, and their tastes.

Hunt

Ian Hayward

Repost - email failed yesterday.

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:53:01 GMT, "Ian Hayward"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Buttery" is one of the less easy terms to define and quantify IMO, but

this
> >satisfies my understanding of it nicely:
> >
> >http://www.penfolds.com/TheRange/Tas...Chardonnay.pdf
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Ian

> I'm not sure. I certainly agree with the "maleolactic fermentation"
> aspect and the "butterscotch" and the "French oak", but the comments
> regarding the acidity, the citric notes, and "grapefruit-like finish"
> are off-putting in the search for "buttery".
>
> I like the butterscotch and the oak (ohmigod, I'll be ostracized
> forever.....). But, I also like vanilla and warmth and those non-acid
> fruits like the peach and mango mentioned.
>
> Maybe we've just highlighted the difficulty in finding a wine to meet
> a seeker's ideal....
>
> I've not experienced Penfold's "The Valleys", but will surely look for
> it. OTOH, Penfold's low-end "Rawson's Retreat" is absolute dreck!
> IMHO.
>
> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Ian Hayward

Misreading that reminded me that I've had a very nice, and distinctly
buttery, Fetzer on British Airways flights, although I don't recall the
label. But then, maybe it just tasted good because it was free.

"Bill Loftin" > wrote in message
> Hunt wrote:
> >>I'am looking for a buttery Chardonnay. My wife loves the Kendall
> >>Jackson Vitners Reserve(KJ), but she mentioned that when she tried the
> >>2004 bottle that it was horrible, and the rest have went along the same
> >>line. I have tried to tell her that for the past few years that they
> >>have really been going downhill. Suggestions?

> > Talbot (made fortune in ties) and does several North & Central Coast,

CA/US
> > Chards that exhibit a buttery characteristic.
> > Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chard
> > Newton, both their "red label" and their "Unfiltered" are quite "big"

Chards.
> > As Ed points out, most of the really "big" ones will cost a bit and are

not
> > likely to be found at Costco, except for the Far Niente, which is still

~US$
> > 40/blt.

> Two of the more upscale buttery Chardonnays are Murphy Goode Reserve and

Chalk
> Hill anything. Chalk Hill even puts their SB through a malolactic

fermentation.
> (yuck)
> There are a lot of cheap buttery wines too. Bogle, Fess Parker, Seven

Peaks
> Chateau St Jean Sonoma, Berringer Founders Reserve and Ravenswood Vintners

Blend.

k.papai

And I would have to add some of Miner's (Napa Valley) chardonnays as
buttery and quite often Grgich.

I equate buttery to mean full to nearly full malolactic and some oaky
and butterscotch components.

If I were forced to dig trhough some of my 2003-04 tasting notes I
might unveil chards
from Pine Ridge, Navarro, and Matanzas Creek among others that might
fit here.

-Ken

Redhart

Try Savignon Blancs.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'am looking for a buttery Chardonnay. My wife loves the Kendall
> Jackson Vitners Reserve(KJ), but she mentioned that when she tried the
> 2004 bottle that it was horrible, and the rest have went along the same
> line. I have tried to tell her that for the past few years that they
> have really been going downhill. Suggestions?
>
> Sincerley.
>
> Tim

Redhart

Try Savignon Blancs.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'am looking for a buttery Chardonnay. My wife loves the Kendall
> Jackson Vitners Reserve(KJ), but she mentioned that when she tried the
> 2004 bottle that it was horrible, and the rest have went along the same
> line. I have tried to tell her that for the past few years that they
> have really been going downhill. Suggestions?
>
> Sincerley.
>
> Tim

Interesting that she comments on the 2004 KJ Chardonnay when there
current release is the 2003.
Maybe if she can see into the future, she should trade stocks.

Redhart

wow, you must know a lot about wines.
" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Interesting that she comments on the 2004 KJ Chardonnay when there
> current release is the 2003.
> Maybe if she can see into the future, she should trade stocks.

Buttery Spread Resolved! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 1 04-02-2014 07:28 AM
buttery Chard RichD Wine 6 21-01-2012 10:57 AM
buttery Chard RichD General 0 20-01-2012 05:31 AM
Buttery Popovers Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 04-06-2008 02:47 AM
"buttery" chardonnay question [email protected] Wine 20 18-12-2004 11:09 PM