Ray Calvert

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
> Ken Vale > wrote:
>> Dick Adams wrote:

>>> I'm looking for a yeast that will completely die between 10%
>>> and 12% abv. I would prefer it to be agressive rather than
>>> slow - so it ferments quickly and dies from alcoholism..
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

>> It is easier to control the sugar than it is to control the
>> yeast, if there is only enough sugar to reach 10% abv no
>> yeast in the world can ferment it past that point.

> I always appreciate common sense answers. My problem is that
> when I let a Maple Syrup Wine/Mead ferment out, it acquires a
> fuesal taste. So I'd like it to ferment out leaving an SG of
> around 1.02. The solution so far has been crushed Campden
> tablets per gallon. They aren't that easy to crush.
>
> Dick

I am not talking from experience here but when it gets down to the SG you
want you might try putting it in a refrigerator or freezer to stop the
fermentation. This will not kill it so if you bring it out and warm it up
again it will likely start up again. If you can leave it in the cold until
it starts to clear. Then rack it off the sediment. This will leave most of
the yeast behind. You might be able to either sterile filter it (not a
simple filter, a sterile filter) or treat it with sorbate and let it finish
clearing. I would force the clearing with fining as fast as possible.

Just some suggestions. Once again, not from experience so take them for
what they are.

Ray