Ray Calvert

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a yeast that will completely die between 10%
> and 12% abv. I would prefer it to be agressive rather than
> slow - so it ferments quickly and dies from alcoholism..
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Dick

I agree with the comments above. Even with a "homogeneous" yeast like those
you buy, there are billions or maybe trillions of yeast cells in the bucket
and certainly more than that in the must after it goes through a few
replications. No mater how hard the yeast company tries, they are not all
identical. Like any organism, they mutate and they have personal
differences. You cannot guarantee that they will all die off in a certain
range. You can control the sugar so they run out of food at a certain
alcohol level. Then give them enough time to settle out so you can
eliminate most of them through racking. Then you can filter to remove the
rest or treat with sorbate to prevent the few left from reproducing and
causing a problem and you can sweeten to what ever level you want.

Ray