Ed Huntress

"BIGEYE" > wrote in message
> "Tim Killian" > wrote in message
> > Compared to copper and aluminum, SST is terrible at conducting heat.
> > That's why it's never used for grill surfaces and the best cookware

always
> > has it laminated with aluminum or copper to spread the heat more evenly.
> >

> > BIGEYE wrote:
> >
> >> Nobody seems to know the answer to this one.
> >> I am considering using 6mm stainless steel as a BBQ plate. I have heard
> >> that you can't use stainless steel for cooking food on a BBQ as SS is
> >> full of nasties.
> >> Can anyone confirm this?
> >> TIA

> So should I use stainless steel, mild steel or what?

Tell us about your BBQ plate. Is it a plain, flat plate? How do you use it?

Stainless does conduct heat poorly, but the only real problem that causes is
uneven heat distribution when you're cooking over a concentrated flame. That
may or may not be an issue. It would be for a griddle used on a camp stove
(yes, I made one out of 1/8" stainless sheet around 35 years ago, and it was
worse than awful) but it could be completely irrelevant for other
applications.

--
Ed Huntress