dkdeckmann dkdeckmann is offline
Member

Use MEAT, I like plain ground beef - NO cereal filler, no bread or cracker crumbs - meat... FINELY diced onion, garlic, green bell peppers... salt of course, coarse ground fennel seed... a couple of eggs... Now the trick - apple sauce or canned tomatos pureed up in the food processor... enough apple or tomato so that you think it might be too much - you are looking for butter at room temperature consistancy, VERY soft but NOT runny... roll the balls in flour, put in a glass baking dish touching each other just a bit, DO NOT fry or otherwise brown them, it just makes them tough... top with regular store bought Ragu sauce like you'd put syrup on a pancake, so that the run-off covers the bottom half of the balls... add extra bell pepper cubes or diced onion if you like the flavor... oven, uncovered, 350, an hour or so... They will be delicate, flavorful, moist... You might want to drain any grease that comes off easily...
Makes a good sandwich in a baguette... top with the cheese of tour choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaw
So, I've been making James Beard's meatballs (from _American
Cookery_) for years, but have never actually liked them all
that much. They're kind of - well, coarse and dry.

While travelling on business a month or so ago I had a HUGE
meatball on top of a plate of penne that I still remember
very fondly. It was apparently made from very finely ground
meat - probably veal and pork - and was moist and delicious
as well as delicately spiced. I want to make something like
that.

Anyone? Thanks....

--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new