news:UkeNd.24231
> :
>
> <snip>
>
> <delurk>
> from http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm
> "What is a Troll?
> An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the

> Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and

upset
> people.
>
> Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for
> their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are
> hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite

human
> but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no

sorrow
> whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the

suffering
> they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the
> moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.
>
> Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or

otherwise).
> You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame

or
> compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel
> remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the

rules
> of courtesy or social responsibility.
>
> Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is
> something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can

not be
> changed by mere words."
>
> And most importantly:
> "The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to

reminding
> others not to respond to trolls."
>
> Thank you for your attention. Please do not feed the troll.
>
> </delurk>

There is so much absolute bullshit being bandied about that it is
impossible to stand by and watch. 'Sowing discord'? Oh, you must mean
what I call pointing out that popular opinion rests on myths and
falsehoods.

I have nothing but contempt for most of poular culture.