Grismalkin

>> Can anyone give me any tips on growing your own herbs. i.e. where to keep
>> them, wot soil to use etc. etc.

>I am not much of a gardener, but I keep a section of my garden for herbs. I
>grow oregano, basil, purple ruffled basil, dill weed, cilantro, rosemary,
>thyme and parsley. I have some mint too, but I keep that in a container away
>from the rest of the herbs because it goes wild and started popping up
>everywhere. The purple ruffled basil needs a lot of bright sunlight.
>Everything seems to do well in the sandy loam.

Hello

I can only seem to grow some perennial herbs here. My basil and cilantro never
seem to yield enough before they go to seed. Also, the rosemary and pineapple
sage lasted for one Colorado winter and not the next.

Most herbs seem to like lots of sun, which I don't get much of in my backyard.
So, I planted some on a narrow strip on the south side of the house that is
partially-shaded by a larger house and tall fence. My first mistake was
planting Russian tarragon. It is a monster and has no useful purpose. The
French tarragon is doing well. Also, the thyme and lemon thyme - I was able to
pick some thyme recently for a bouquet garni. The soil is not that great on
this side of the house. In some places, it's hard as a rock. This is a dry
area and I sometimes have to water the
plants, especially baby plants. When I first moved here the dill was growing
and re-seeded, but I have had no luck with planting new dill seeds. I will try
again this spring.

Good Luck!