Midlife

in article ,
at wrote on 2/3/05 12:24 PM:

> Yeah, I've looked around on the newsgroup before asking, but it seems
> most threads on this topic are regarding long-term storage. Or
> regarding very expensive equipment ($50 for a nitrogen system is
> expensive to me. Now. So far. Until I get more experienced and
> knowledgeable and build a valueable (in effort and appreciation, not
> nec' price) collection.)
>
> I only just started getting into wine appreciation. Before last year my
> experience has been pretty much any inexpensive white zinf'. Then I
> went crazy and went all out and tried cabernet sauvingon. =) (Only to
> recently find out it's kind of become the generic "safe" grape.) So,
> now that I'm starting to really TASTE wine, and analyze, and pick and
> choose, and build a volcabulary and experience, I'd like to also take
> care in preserving wine. After all, I'm the only person in the
> household who drinks wine (well, my wife will have a glass now and
> then,) and so I'll usually have to put away half to 3/4 bottles into
> the fridge. Even 24 hours later the taste seems to change.
>
> So, what are some good, inexpensive suggestions for keeping an opened
> bottle 2 to 3, maybe 4 days?
>
> I saw the recommendation of using half-bottles. Not bad, I'll try that,
> but doesn't seem very consistant.
> I also saw something on Private Preserve inert gas replacement. That
> sounds like a good idea. A little expensive, for now, but if it's the
> best option then I think that's worth it.
> What about those $12 cheapy vacuum pump tops? Good enough to keep for a
> couple of days?
> And finally, refridgeration. Good idea? Bad idea? Only in conjunction
> with a particular tupe of storage? I understand refidgeration can slow
> the oxidation, but, does it contribute to any other changes?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
> Liam

I've used a VacuVin pump for years and find that it, combined with
refrigeration, seems to keep wine relatively well for 4 or 5 days. The pump
costs around US$9 or $10 and a couple of extra stoppers are US$3.

Re-filling smaller bottles, logically speaking, would seem to be as good or
better since it keeps the wine free of oxygen, and using a real cork could
be more effective than the VacuVin stopper. What doesn't compute for me is
how good this method is if the left-over wine doesn't completely fill the
smaller bottle. Also, if the left-over quantity is more than the smaller
bottle holds, you are forced to drink the rest ;o) or fill another small
bottle only part way. I think I'd vote for VacuVin unless your taste
sensitivity finds a recognizable difference with the smaller bottle method.

Never tried the nitrogen method.

Your comment that Cabernet is the "safe" grape could just start something
here. Let's see.