Priscilla H. Ballou

orangetrader wrote:

> The numbers a
>
> LDL Ch = 134
> HDL Ch = 54
> Sugar = 99
>
> I am not sure what is consider borderline or high. Doing some web research
> but a bit confused.

> "Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "orangetrader" > wrote:
> >
> > > My doctor told me my blood sugar level is quite high,

> > What's the number?

Is that "sugar" a fasting number? 99 is not even into the range of
pre-diabetes (aka early diabetes). (BTW, "borderline" is out of vogue
as a term.) Now, 99 is only one point shy of the bottom of the
pre-diabetic range (100-125), but technically it's not there yet.

If you want to take good care of yourself around your blood glucose and
the possibility that you're heading towards pre-diabetes and thus
diabetes (which might be a good bet), then there are some lifestyle
changes you can put into place which can help you. One is to increase
exercise. This can combat insulin resistance, plus make you healthier
generally. Another is to control your intake of carbohydrates,
especially refined carbohydrates like white flour, sugar, pasta, white
bread, white rice, potatoes. Sugar is not the only carbohydrate,
although it's a very popular one. And you probably (at this point at
least) don't need to drastically deny yourself these foods, but a move
towards whole grains in their place and smaller portion sizes would
probably boost your health and keep your blood glucose levels in line
longer. As a side-effect you may find yourself losing some weight. I
started eating low-carb (which is more drastic than I'm suggesting to
you) two years ago, and I've slowly but surely lost 40 pounds in that
time.

There's an author named Gretchen Becker who's written some excellent
books about type 2 diabetes. I've found her book on the first year with
type 2 diabetes to be very helpful. You might want to pick up her more
recent book, _Prediabetes : What You Need to Know to Keep Diabetes
Away_. Or her previous book, _Stop Diabetes: 50 Simple Steps You Can
Take at Any Age to Reduce Your Risk of Type 2 Diabetes_. I haven't
actually read either of those, but I was very impressed by the book of
hers that I have read, and I would expect these books to be very good as well.

Good luck to you. You might want to try reading some of the posts in
alt.support.diabetes and misc.health.diabetes, if you can stand the
frequent flame wars and trolls. There's a lot of interesting discussion
there. I would do a lot of reading and outside research before I'd
implement anyone's ideas, though, or assume that what's true for one
person is true for you.

Priscilla