Hood

Default Fresh Pork Ham

"Fred" > wrote in message
om...
> I have been selected to cook the 16lb fresh ham for New Year's day.
> HELP!!!!!!!!!Thanks ---Fred in South Carolina, USA

I just did one that was 18 lbs for Christmas turned out great. First allow
30 minutes a pound for cooking. Cut off the rind, the think skin like
portion. Then score the fatty side in checks pattern. Insert whole cloves
into center of each scored square. Don't score the meat just the fat. Mix
together cheap champagne and brown sugar, about a cup or two each. Build an
indirect fire. If you have a round webber type grill build fire on either
side of the center and place a catch foil pan to catch the drippings. About
15-20 briquettes each side should do depending on how big a grill you have.
If you have a barrel grill then build a fire at one end, fairly good size
but not huge. Buy and soak some wood chips. When the fire is ready spread
it out but keep it either on each side of the catch pan for round grill or
on one side of the barrel grill and place some wood chips over the fire.
After 30 minutes start basting the ham with the champagne/brown sugar
mixture. Baste about every 20 to 30 minutes. Add some charcoal to the fire
every hour about 8-10 briquettes on each side for the round grill and for
the barrel grill enough to keep the fire burning but not real hot. Add wood
chips each time you add briquettes. About the last 45 minutes to 1.5 hours
don't add briquettes so it cooks a little slower at the end. Use your own
judgment, cut a little piece off to test it. Should turn out great, mine
sure did. Should be whitish but a little pink, not too pink but some pink
spot can exist. Good luck and enjoy.