Fred

Default Fresh Pork Ham

I have been selected to cook the 16lb fresh ham for New Year's day.
HELP!!!!!!!!!Thanks ---Fred in South Carolina, USA
Peter Aitken

"Fred" > wrote in message
om...
> I have been selected to cook the 16lb fresh ham for New Year's day.
> HELP!!!!!!!!!Thanks ---Fred in South Carolina, USA

You're sure it is a fresh ham, not cooked or smoked or cured - just a pig's
thigh? Then you can treat it like other pork roasts, and the same sorts of
flavorings go well. I have a recipe for fresh ham that requires marinating
for a week so the details won't help you, but the cooking is to place the
ham fatty side up on a rack in a roasting pan and out in a 300 degree oven
for 5-6 hours. Use a meat thermometer to check for internal temp of 165. If
it starts getting too brown near the end of cooking cover it with foil or
brown paper. Basting or a spice rub will not have much effect on such a big
piece of meat so I think you are better off serving it with a sauce.

--
Peter Aitken

pavane

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
.com...
> "Fred" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I have been selected to cook the 16lb fresh ham for New Year's day.
> > HELP!!!!!!!!!Thanks ---Fred in South Carolina, USA

> You're sure it is a fresh ham, not cooked or smoked or cured - just a

pig's
> thigh? Then you can treat it like other pork roasts, and the same sorts of
> flavorings go well. I have a recipe for fresh ham that requires marinating
> for a week so the details won't help you, but the cooking is to place the
> ham fatty side up on a rack in a roasting pan and out in a 300 degree oven
> for 5-6 hours. Use a meat thermometer to check for internal temp of 165.

If
> it starts getting too brown near the end of cooking cover it with foil or
> brown paper. Basting or a spice rub will not have much effect on such a

big
> piece of meat so I think you are better off serving it with a sauce.

....and the sauce will be wonderful as fresh ham throws some of the best
drippings of any meat. (Emeril: "Pork fat rules!") Be prepared to deglaze
the pan and add whatever herbs seem appropriate. You should end up
with a dark, richly flavorful sauce for the fresh ham, which in itself will
be
one of the nicest pieces of pork you have ever tasted.

On the other hand here is a link to America's Test Kitchen (Cooks Mag)
and their recipe for fresh ham which sounds awfully good...
http://www.nctimes.net/news/2002/20020523/90918.html

pavane

Doug Freyburger

Fred wrote:

> I have been selected to cook the 16lb fresh ham for New Year's day.
> HELP!!!!!!!!!Thanks ---Fred in South Carolina, USA

Fresh means it's the cut of meat that would be a ham, a leg roast.
And it also means it hasn't been preserved.

So treat it like a big pork roast and you'll be fine.

Hood

"Fred" > wrote in message
om...
> I have been selected to cook the 16lb fresh ham for New Year's day.
> HELP!!!!!!!!!Thanks ---Fred in South Carolina, USA

I just did one that was 18 lbs for Christmas turned out great. First allow
30 minutes a pound for cooking. Cut off the rind, the think skin like
portion. Then score the fatty side in checks pattern. Insert whole cloves
into center of each scored square. Don't score the meat just the fat. Mix
together cheap champagne and brown sugar, about a cup or two each. Build an
indirect fire. If you have a round webber type grill build fire on either
side of the center and place a catch foil pan to catch the drippings. About
15-20 briquettes each side should do depending on how big a grill you have.
If you have a barrel grill then build a fire at one end, fairly good size
but not huge. Buy and soak some wood chips. When the fire is ready spread
it out but keep it either on each side of the catch pan for round grill or
on one side of the barrel grill and place some wood chips over the fire.
After 30 minutes start basting the ham with the champagne/brown sugar
mixture. Baste about every 20 to 30 minutes. Add some charcoal to the fire
every hour about 8-10 briquettes on each side for the round grill and for
the barrel grill enough to keep the fire burning but not real hot. Add wood
chips each time you add briquettes. About the last 45 minutes to 1.5 hours
don't add briquettes so it cooks a little slower at the end. Use your own
judgment, cut a little piece off to test it. Should turn out great, mine
sure did. Should be whitish but a little pink, not too pink but some pink
spot can exist. Good luck and enjoy.

Fresh pork graham[_4_] General Cooking 3 06-01-2015 12:31 PM
Pork Belly Pasts (was: Fresh Side Pork) Sqwertz General Cooking 36 11-05-2010 03:53 PM
Fresh Side Pork Lin[_3_] General Cooking 13 09-05-2010 04:55 PM
Fresh Pork... and I mean FRESH! Which cut? 43fan Barbecue 7 09-09-2006 05:54 PM
16 lb Fresh pork Ham Fred Baking 3 01-01-2004 10:22 PM