rmg

"Valerie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just made a wonderful curied apple and butternut soup. The recipe
> called for two tablespoons of curry and a dash of cumin but I
> mistakenly reversed them. I love spicy food, but two tablespoons of
> cumin was much too hot. I know that adding potatoes can eliminate
> saltiness. Does any one have any suggestions on how to reduce the spice?

You shouldn't have a problem with it being too hot - cumin isn't chili
powder. I'd add some lime if I were you. Or just offer it up for squeezing
to diners' tastes. It may mellow things a bit and it won't clash with the
apple. Sour cream or yogurt might also mellow it a bit if the cumin is way
too strong. you could also try pumping up the curry to compensate.