Valerie

Default HELP! Added too much cumin to soup.

I just made a wonderful curied apple and butternut soup. The recipe
called for two tablespoons of curry and a dash of cumin but I
mistakenly reversed them. I love spicy food, but two tablespoons of
cumin was much too hot. I know that adding potatoes can eliminate
saltiness. Does any one have any suggestions on how to reduce the spice?

notbob

On 2005-01-16, Valerie > wrote:

> I just made a wonderful curied apple and butternut soup. The recipe
> called for two tablespoons of curry and a dash of cumin but I
> mistakenly reversed them. I love spicy food, but two tablespoons of
> cumin was much too hot. I know that adding potatoes can eliminate
> saltiness. Does any one have any suggestions on how to reduce the spice?

Add some hominy and carnitas, call it apple/butternut pozole, and sell the
recipe to Rick Bayless.

nb
notbob

On 2005-01-16, Valerie > wrote:

> I just made a wonderful curied apple and butternut soup. The recipe
> called for two tablespoons of curry and a dash of cumin but I
> mistakenly reversed them. I love spicy food, but two tablespoons of
> cumin was much too hot. I know that adding potatoes can eliminate
> saltiness. Does any one have any suggestions on how to reduce the spice?

Add some hominy and carnitas, call it apple/butternut pozole, and sell the
recipe to Rick Bayless.

nb
Louis Cohen

Valerie wrote:
> I just made a wonderful curied apple and butternut soup. The recipe
> called for two tablespoons of curry and a dash of cumin but I
> mistakenly reversed them. I love spicy food, but two tablespoons of
> cumin was much too hot. I know that adding potatoes can eliminate
> saltiness. Does any one have any suggestions on how to reduce the spice?

Serve it over rice. Take lots of rice and a little soup in each
mouthful. Or dilute it with more stock and potatoes.

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877
Louis Cohen

Valerie wrote:
> I just made a wonderful curied apple and butternut soup. The recipe
> called for two tablespoons of curry and a dash of cumin but I
> mistakenly reversed them. I love spicy food, but two tablespoons of
> cumin was much too hot. I know that adding potatoes can eliminate
> saltiness. Does any one have any suggestions on how to reduce the spice?

Serve it over rice. Take lots of rice and a little soup in each
mouthful. Or dilute it with more stock and potatoes.

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877

PENMART01

>Valerie wrote:
>
>> I just made a wonderful curied apple and butternut soup. The recipe
>> called for two tablespoons of curry and a dash of cumin but I
>> mistakenly reversed them. I love spicy food, but two tablespoons of
>> cumin was much too hot.

Huh... cumin isn't hot, it's a potent spice but actually sort of sweetish.
Black cumin has a very slight peppery flavor but not nearly so much as it will
replace black pepper. And in fact most all curry powders already contain cumin
so what kinda fercocktah recipe did you use that would call for generic curry
powder AND a *dash* of cumin... perhaps you were reading a **** book that you
thought said "*** in the soup." hehe

curry powder
Widely used in Indian cooking, authentic Indian curry powder is freshly ground
each day and can vary dramatically depending on the region and the cook. Curry
powder is actually a pulverized blend of up to 20 spices, herbs and seeds.
Among those most commonly used are cardamom, chiles, cinnamon, cloves,
coriander, cumin, fennel seed, fenugreek, mace, nutmeg, red and black pepper,
poppy and sesame seeds, saffron, tamarind and turmeric (the latter is what
gives curried dishes their characteristic yellow color). Commercial curry
powder (which bears little resemblance to the freshly ground blends of southern
India) comes in two basic styles €” standard, and the hotter of the two,
"Madras." Since curry powder quickly loses its pungency, it should be stored,
airtight, no longer than 2 months.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
rmg

"Valerie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just made a wonderful curied apple and butternut soup. The recipe
> called for two tablespoons of curry and a dash of cumin but I
> mistakenly reversed them. I love spicy food, but two tablespoons of
> cumin was much too hot. I know that adding potatoes can eliminate
> saltiness. Does any one have any suggestions on how to reduce the spice?

You shouldn't have a problem with it being too hot - cumin isn't chili
powder. I'd add some lime if I were you. Or just offer it up for squeezing
to diners' tastes. It may mellow things a bit and it won't clash with the
apple. Sour cream or yogurt might also mellow it a bit if the cumin is way
too strong. you could also try pumping up the curry to compensate.

rmg

oups.com...

Cumin Julie Bove Diabetic 0 03-04-2010 07:42 AM
Cold Zucchini Soup with Cinnamon, Cumin and Buttermilk Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 14-05-2007 03:18 AM
HELP! Added too much cumin to soup. Valerie General Cooking 0 16-01-2005 02:11 AM
Lentil and Sweet Red Pepper Soup with Cumin and Black Pepper Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 29-12-2004 05:17 AM
BUTTERNUT SOUP WITH CUMIN Hahabogus Diabetic 0 03-10-2004 02:35 PM