Dimitri

"elaine" > wrote in message
> I'm making thai pork for supper. Actually, I'm adapting a recipe for thai
> chicken and using pork instead. The marinade (for chicken) calls for
> ginger,
> garlic, thai curry paste, lemon zest, vegetable oil - I added some brown
> sugar and soy sauce. I brown the pork then add a can of coconut milk.
>
> But my question: I picked up coconut cream by mistake - would that be
> like
> using 35% cream instead of milk. Should I water down the cream and just
> use
> half?
>
> Elaine

Here is the difference.

1 to 1 or 4 to 1.

From Epicurious:

Dimitri

Coconut milk is made by combining equal parts water and shredded fresh or
desiccated coconut meat and simmering until foamy. The mixture is then
strained through CHEESECLOTH, squeezing as much of the liquid as possible
from the coconut meat. The coconut meat can be combined with water again for
a second, diluted batch of coconut milk. Coconut cream is made in the same
manner, but enriches the mix by using 1 part water to 4 parts coconut. Milk
can be substituted for water for an even richer result. Discard the coconut
meat after making these mixtures. Coconut milk and cream also come canned
and may sometimes be found frozen in Asian markets and some supermarkets. Do
not confuse sweetened "cream of coconut" - used mainly for desserts and
mixed drinks - with unsweetened coconut milk or cream.