Old 07-01-2005, 08:46 PM
elaine

Default coconut milk/cream

I'm making thai pork for supper. Actually, I'm adapting a recipe for thai
chicken and using pork instead. The marinade (for chicken) calls for ginger,
garlic, thai curry paste, lemon zest, vegetable oil - I added some brown
sugar and soy sauce. I brown the pork then add a can of coconut milk.

But my question: I picked up coconut cream by mistake - would that be like
using 35% cream instead of milk. Should I water down the cream and just use
half?

Elaine

Old 07-01-2005, 09:53 PM

I think coconut cream is a very sweetened version of coconut milk, so
its more like comparing evaporated milk in a can to sweetened condensed
milk. Only time I've used the coconut cream was for a pie, and I think
its also used to make mixed drinks. I think you would definately want
to dilute the cream.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Dave Smith

elaine wrote:

I'm making thai pork for supper. Actually, I'm adapting a recipe for thai
chicken and using pork instead. The marinade (for chicken) calls for ginger,
garlic, thai curry paste, lemon zest, vegetable oil - I added some brown
sugar and soy sauce. I brown the pork then add a can of coconut milk.

But my question: I picked up coconut cream by mistake - would that be like
using 35% cream instead of milk. Should I water down the cream and just use
half?

Check the ingredients on the label. Some sites indicated that coconut milk and
coconut cream are the same, but others indicated they are different, with
coconut cream being a sweetened version of coconut milk that is intended for
desserts. However, it just might work with a pork dish since pork can sometimes
handle sweetness, and you might use a little extra lime juice to balance it.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:37 PM
elaine

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
elaine wrote:

[...]

About 58% coconut milk . Damn - I've never, ever cooked with coconut, milk
(or cream) - This is my first time. And I would never use evaporated milk
in a recipe (chowders yes).

Think I'll use half the can; taste and if necessary add water & lime
juice........... perhaps it will be wonderful!

Thanks......

Old 07-01-2005, 10:41 PM
George

elaine wrote:
I'm making thai pork for supper. Actually, I'm adapting a recipe for thai
chicken and using pork instead. The marinade (for chicken) calls for ginger,
garlic, thai curry paste, lemon zest, vegetable oil - I added some brown
sugar and soy sauce. I brown the pork then add a can of coconut milk.

But my question: I picked up coconut cream by mistake - would that be like
using 35% cream instead of milk. Should I water down the cream and just use
half?

Elaine

Yes, pretty much analogous to dairy. Coconut cream is the fat and
cocunut milk has a lot more water and less fat (just like milk).

I think it will work but I would use less than half.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Dave Smith

elaine wrote:

About 58% coconut milk . Damn - I've never, ever cooked with coconut, milk
(or cream) - This is my first time. And I would never use evaporated milk
in a recipe (chowders yes).

Think I'll use half the can; taste and if necessary add water & lime
juice........... perhaps it will be wonderful!

Coconut milk is great stuff to cook with. One sort of Thai dish that I do
occasionally uses it. You put some oil in a pan, add a spoonful of curry paste,
stir it around, toss in some chopped onion, then throw in some diced chicken
(seasoned with salt beforehand), then red pepper strips. Then add a small can of
coconut milk and a spoonful of fish sauce. Serve in rice.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:07 AM
elaine

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
elaine wrote:

About 58% coconut milk . Damn - I've never, ever cooked with coconut,

milk
(or cream) - This is my first time. And I would never use evaporated

milk
in a recipe (chowders yes).

Think I'll use half the can; taste and if necessary add water & lime
juice........... perhaps it will be wonderful!

Coconut milk is great stuff to cook with. One sort of Thai dish that I do
occasionally uses it. You put some oil in a pan, add a spoonful of curry

paste,
stir it around, toss in some chopped onion, then throw in some diced

chicken
(seasoned with salt beforehand), then red pepper strips. Then add a small

can of
coconut milk and a spoonful of fish sauce. Serve in rice.

Well I wimped out and went to the store for coconut milk. It wasn't sweet
at all.

And with the basmati rice (peas added at the end) what a great meal. Much
the same as the above - but with pork marinated in garlic, curry paste,
ginger ,soya and lemon zest.

It was really good .

Old 08-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Dimitri

"elaine" wrote in message
I'm making thai pork for supper. Actually, I'm adapting a recipe for thai
chicken and using pork instead. The marinade (for chicken) calls for
ginger,
garlic, thai curry paste, lemon zest, vegetable oil - I added some brown
sugar and soy sauce. I brown the pork then add a can of coconut milk.

But my question: I picked up coconut cream by mistake - would that be
like
using 35% cream instead of milk. Should I water down the cream and just
use
half?

Elaine

Here is the difference.

1 to 1 or 4 to 1.

From Epicurious:

Dimitri

Coconut milk is made by combining equal parts water and shredded fresh or
desiccated coconut meat and simmering until foamy. The mixture is then
strained through CHEESECLOTH, squeezing as much of the liquid as possible
from the coconut meat. The coconut meat can be combined with water again for
a second, diluted batch of coconut milk. Coconut cream is made in the same
manner, but enriches the mix by using 1 part water to 4 parts coconut. Milk
can be substituted for water for an even richer result. Discard the coconut
meat after making these mixtures. Coconut milk and cream also come canned
and may sometimes be found frozen in Asian markets and some supermarkets. Do
not confuse sweetened "cream of coconut" - used mainly for desserts and
mixed drinks - with unsweetened coconut milk or cream.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:22 AM
notbob

On 2005-01-07, elaine wrote:

But my question: I picked up coconut cream by mistake - would that be like
using 35% cream instead of milk. Should I water down the cream and just use
half?

Coconut milk is not the liquid inside a whole coconut that saves the
shipwrecked survivor on the deserted island. Coconut milk is a liquid
extracted from shredded coconut pulp. And, just like raw milk, the
uprocessed juice extracted from a moo cow, it has a fatty cream that rises
to the top.

The two Thai brands I use, Chaokoh and Mae Ploy, are very high in coconut
cream. I'd say Chaokoh is as high as 1/2 to 2/3rds cream. When I open a
can of Chaokoh, the cream has usually separated from the liquid and forms a
paste, about the consistancy of a newly opened container of sour cream. The
remaining liquid on the bottom is a watery grayish juice. Some recipes call
for just cream. But, for most Thai recipes it's usually assumed to use all
the juice/cream together.

It's possible to buy straight coconut cream. All expamples I've purchased
are frozen, not canned. Coconut cream is prized in Thai cooking and you're
better off with more cream and less juice than the other way around. As you
suggest, you can always add water. Your best bet is to stick with Thai
brands for Thai cooking. Chinese brands also have less cream.

Here's some info on Thai coconut milk and other Thai ingredients. I'm still
using Chaokoh brand, but my last case was purchased some time ago and I
haven't run into the problem Kasma warns against he

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/brands.html

As an added note, also avoid the coconut creams like Coco Lopez which are
meant for bar use (cocktails). I'm not sure what all they include, but I do
know one ingredient is propylene glycol, distant cousin to anti-freeze.

I hope you dish turns out great,
nb
Old 08-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Puester

elaine wrote:
I'm making thai pork for supper. Actually, I'm adapting a recipe for thai
chicken and using pork instead. The marinade (for chicken) calls for ginger,
garlic, thai curry paste, lemon zest, vegetable oil - I added some brown
sugar and soy sauce. I brown the pork then add a can of coconut milk.

But my question: I picked up coconut cream by mistake - would that be like
using 35% cream instead of milk. Should I water down the cream and just use
half?

Elaine

Coconut milk is like regular milk in texture and unsweetened
for use in savory recipes.

Coconut cream is comparable to sweetened condensed milk
and is used for things like Pina Coladas and sweet desserts.
The texture is very thick and waxy.

gloria p