Wayne Boatwright

Default Calf Tails

Margaret Suran > wrote in message link.net>...
> I found several packages marked "Calf Tails" at the supermarket and
> bought two pounds of the tails. They look like a small, pale version of
> ox tails, something I enjoy when I prepare it.
>
> Has anybody seen this cut of meat? Has anybody cooked it?

I've never seen it before, but certainly makes sense. What else would
they do with the tails of calves (veal?)?

> I did this morning. I chopped a medium sized onion and a couple of
> garlic cloves, sautéed them in a small amount of butter until they were
> translucent, then added the cut up calf tails, arranging them on top of
> the onions and pouring about a cup of tomato juice, which I had in a
> half used bottle in my refrigerator.
>
> I put the covered pot into a 350 degree oven, skimmed the fat off
> several times and the meat seemed to be done after about two hours. I
> tasted it and found it very tasty. It did not taste very much like Th.
> ox tails, but much more like Osso Buco. The gravy was very thick and
> gelatinous.

Sounds like a good prep. I guess I would expect them to taste more
like veal than would ox tails. The richness of the gravy is certainly
from the long cooking of the tails, as is the same in ox tails.

> What shall I serve with it? The sides that were suggested for Osso Buco
> in the thread of a couple of weeks ago? Baked potatoes, since this
> dish is so rich? Buttered noodles or other plain pasta? A salad, of
> course and a green vegetable, tiny frozen peas, probably, but I want
> some kind of starch, too.

I should think that any side appropriate for Osso Buco would work
equally well for the calf tails.

> I have been tasting the tails and about a quarter of them are gone.
> They are really delicious.

If you keep sampling, Margaret, you won't need any side dishes! <G>

> Margaret

I'll have to keep an eye out for these...sounds really good!

Wayne