Margaret Suran

Default Calf Tails

I found several packages marked "Calf Tails" at the supermarket and
bought two pounds of the tails. They look like a small, pale version of
ox tails, something I enjoy when I prepare it.

Has anybody seen this cut of meat? Has anybody cooked it?

I did this morning. I chopped a medium sized onion and a couple of
garlic cloves, sautéed them in a small amount of butter until they were
translucent, then added the cut up calf tails, arranging them on top of
the onions and pouring about a cup of tomato juice, which I had in a
half used bottle in my refrigerator.

I put the covered pot into a 350 degree oven, skimmed the fat off
several times and the meat seemed to be done after about two hours. I
tasted it and found it very tasty. It did not taste very much like Th.
ox tails, but much more like Osso Buco. The gravy was very thick and
gelatinous.

What shall I serve with it? The sides that were suggested for Osso Buco
in the thread of a couple of weeks ago? Baked potatoes, since this
dish is so rich? Buttered noodles or other plain pasta? A salad, of
course and a green vegetable, tiny frozen peas, probably, but I want
some kind of starch, too.

I have been tasting the tails and about a quarter of them are gone.
They are really delicious.

Margaret

Wayne Boatwright

Margaret Suran > wrote in message link.net>...
> I found several packages marked "Calf Tails" at the supermarket and
> bought two pounds of the tails. They look like a small, pale version of
> ox tails, something I enjoy when I prepare it.
>
> Has anybody seen this cut of meat? Has anybody cooked it?

I've never seen it before, but certainly makes sense. What else would
they do with the tails of calves (veal?)?

> I did this morning. I chopped a medium sized onion and a couple of
> garlic cloves, sautéed them in a small amount of butter until they were
> translucent, then added the cut up calf tails, arranging them on top of
> the onions and pouring about a cup of tomato juice, which I had in a
> half used bottle in my refrigerator.
>
> I put the covered pot into a 350 degree oven, skimmed the fat off
> several times and the meat seemed to be done after about two hours. I
> tasted it and found it very tasty. It did not taste very much like Th.
> ox tails, but much more like Osso Buco. The gravy was very thick and
> gelatinous.

Sounds like a good prep. I guess I would expect them to taste more
like veal than would ox tails. The richness of the gravy is certainly
from the long cooking of the tails, as is the same in ox tails.

> What shall I serve with it? The sides that were suggested for Osso Buco
> in the thread of a couple of weeks ago? Baked potatoes, since this
> dish is so rich? Buttered noodles or other plain pasta? A salad, of
> course and a green vegetable, tiny frozen peas, probably, but I want
> some kind of starch, too.

I should think that any side appropriate for Osso Buco would work
equally well for the calf tails.

> I have been tasting the tails and about a quarter of them are gone.
> They are really delicious.

If you keep sampling, Margaret, you won't need any side dishes! <G>

> Margaret

I'll have to keep an eye out for these...sounds really good!

Wayne
anna maria

Margaret Suran wrote:

> I found several packages marked "Calf Tails" at the supermarket and
> bought two pounds of the tails. They look like a small, pale version of
> ox tails, something I enjoy when I prepare it.
>
> Has anybody seen this cut of meat? Has anybody cooked it?
>
> I did this morning. I chopped a medium sized onion and a couple of
> garlic cloves, sautéed them in a small amount of butter until they were
> translucent, then added the cut up calf tails, arranging them on top of
> the onions and pouring about a cup of tomato juice, which I had in a
> half used bottle in my refrigerator.
>
> I put the covered pot into a 350 degree oven, skimmed the fat off
> several times and the meat seemed to be done after about two hours. I
> tasted it and found it very tasty. It did not taste very much like Th.
> ox tails, but much more like Osso Buco. The gravy was very thick and
> gelatinous.
>
> What shall I serve with it? The sides that were suggested for Osso Buco
> in the thread of a couple of weeks ago? Baked potatoes, since this
> dish is so rich? Buttered noodles or other plain pasta? A salad, of
> course and a green vegetable, tiny frozen peas, probably, but I want
> some kind of starch, too.
>
> I have been tasting the tails and about a quarter of them are gone. They
> are really delicious.
>
> Margaret

oxtail roman style

Calf tail can be used, of course adjusting cooking time.

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 lb (approximately 1 kg) oxtail
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stick, chopped
salt and pepper
1/4 cup (60 cc) dry white wine
1 cup (250 gr) tomato, diced
8 celery sticks, cut longitudinally into strips

In a saucepan, pour the oil and turn the heat to medium. Add the oxtail
and sauté it until the meat is uniformly browned.

Add the onion, carrot, chopped celery stick, and salt and pepper. Sauté
the mixture until the onion is soft.

Add the wine, turn the heat to high, and let the wine evaporate.

Add the tomato, and bring the mixture to a boil. When the sauce starts
boiling, reduce the heat and add 1/2 cup (120 cc) water.

Cover and cook the food until the meat becomes tender and starts coming
off of the bone; add some warm water if necessary.

Add the celery strips, and cook until the celery is tender. Adjust salt
and pepper and serve warm.

www.annamariavolpi.com

Margaret Suran

anna maria wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>> I found several packages marked "Calf Tails" at the supermarket and
>> bought two pounds of the tails. They look like a small, pale version
>> of ox tails, something I enjoy when I prepare it.

> oxtail roman style
>
> Calf tail can be used, of course adjusting cooking time.
>

> 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
> 2 lb (approximately 1 kg) oxtail
> 1 medium onion, diced
> 1 carrot, diced
> 1 celery stick, chopped
> salt and pepper
> 1/4 cup (60 cc) dry white wine
> 1 cup (250 gr) tomato, diced
> 8 celery sticks, cut longitudinally into strips
>
> In a saucepan, pour the oil and turn the heat to medium. Add the oxtail
> and sauté it until the meat is uniformly browned.
>
> Add the onion, carrot, chopped celery stick, and salt and pepper. Sauté
> the mixture until the onion is soft.
>
> Add the wine, turn the heat to high, and let the wine evaporate.
>
> Add the tomato, and bring the mixture to a boil. When the sauce starts
> boiling, reduce the heat and add 1/2 cup (120 cc) water.
>
> Cover and cook the food until the meat becomes tender and starts coming
> off of the bone; add some warm water if necessary.
>
> Add the celery strips, and cook until the celery is tender. Adjust salt
> and pepper and serve warm.

Thank you, this sounds delicious. I will try it the next time.