Michael Pronay

Leo Bueno > wrote:

> I read a note somewhere (can't recall where) that implied that
> some Proseccos are made in what sounded like a single
> fermentation, under pressure, of course.
>
> Note this would be different from the regular Charmat process
> which requires two separate fermentation steps. Will appreciate
> clarification (no pun intended).

No. Sparkling Prosecco - both slightly (frizzante) and fully
(spumante) - is made with by charmat process (second fermentation
in tanks under pressure), never by the traditional method, btw.
There is an Italian sparkler however, that undergoes only one
fermentation (in tanks), and this is stopped when the wine reaches
7%abv: Asti (Spumante).

Note that "prosecco" is the grape variety, not a synonym to
"frizzante", as 99% of the consumers in Germany and Austria would
believe.

M.