Martin Field

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> AyTee wrote:
>> Malolactic fermentation is a secondary bacterial
>> fermentation that is
>> considered desirable in some red wines and a few whites.
>> It may be
>> induced by the winemaker or it may occur spontaneously.
>> One of the
>> by-products is a compound that gives wine the butter
>> flavor. The oak
>> aging may complement ML but they are not necessarily
>> related.

> Most notably, malo-lactic fermentation converts more tart
> malic acid into softer lactic acid. The buttery notes are
> a side-effect.
>
> There are certainly specific bacteria which are used to
> innoculate the wine to induce MLF.
>
> Dana

The compound (from lactobacillus induced MLF) that gives the
buttery notes is diacetyl - also found in butter. I read
somewhere that it is diacetyl that gives artificial butter
flavour to cinema popcorn. Fans of Seinfeld will know that
Jerry would rather have artificial butter flavour than real
butter on his popcorn. I do not know his opinion of buttery
chardonnay. If I never have an overoaked soft buttery
chardonnay again it will be far too soon.
Martin