Default "buttery" chardonnay question

I would like to give my boss a bottle of wine for Xmas. He is very new
to wine. He is around 50 years old and only started to try wine a few
years ago.

We've talked just a little bit about wine. I enjoy red and he enjoys
white, but he says there's only a few chardonnays that he likes. He's
described the chardonnay he likes best as buttery.

I seem to recall hearing that some chardonnays go through a process
that gives a buttery flavor. Is this a double dip in the oak barrel, or
something? It's a distinct flavor to some chardonnays only.

Can anyone tell me what it is that gives the chardonnay this flavor and
some suggestions of wine to buy? My price range would be on the low-end
because I want to also give him two wine glasses and I don't want to
spend too much.

Thanks for your help!
Karen

pavane

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Can anyone tell me what it is that gives the chardonnay this flavor and
> some suggestions of wine to buy? My price range would be on the low-end
> because I want to also give him two wine glasses and I don't want to
> spend too much.

A good way to find the type of wine you want is to do the
good old Google search on "buttery chardonnay" and read
between the lines of the various responses, you will find
quite a few listed. All of the Gallo wines (Gallo itself, Frei
Vineyard, Marcellina, MacMurray, ...) have a characteristic
buttery finish, as do the Rosemount wines from Australia,
Franciscan is nice, but take a look at the Google results,
note a few and wander off to you local wine merchant to
talk a bit. You should be able to buy quite a few nice ones
in the less-than-$20 range.

pavane

pavane

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Can anyone tell me what it is that gives the chardonnay this flavor and
> some suggestions of wine to buy? My price range would be on the low-end
> because I want to also give him two wine glasses and I don't want to
> spend too much.

A good way to find the type of wine you want is to do the
good old Google search on "buttery chardonnay" and read
between the lines of the various responses, you will find
quite a few listed. All of the Gallo wines (Gallo itself, Frei
Vineyard, Marcellina, MacMurray, ...) have a characteristic
buttery finish, as do the Rosemount wines from Australia,
Franciscan is nice, but take a look at the Google results,
note a few and wander off to you local wine merchant to
talk a bit. You should be able to buy quite a few nice ones
in the less-than-$20 range.

pavane

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I'm making a list and
googling and will buy something this weekend.

Karen

Ken Blake wrote:

> Malolactic fermentation.

Another question... I tried to google but wasn't successful.

What causes the malolactic fermentation? Is it because the wine has a
step in an oak barrel? Does this happen to all chardonnays and just
some more than others?

Thanks again!!
Karen

AyTee

Malolactic fermentation is a secondary bacterial fermentation that is
considered desirable in some red wines and a few whites. It may be
induced by the winemaker or it may occur spontaneously. One of the
by-products is a compound that gives wine the butter flavor. The oak
aging may complement ML but they are not necessarily related.

Andy

I thought for sure the buttery flavor would be caused by a "churning"
motion!...
hehehe

Thanks everyone. I may do some tasting this evening...

Karen

Dana H. Myers

AyTee wrote:
> Malolactic fermentation is a secondary bacterial fermentation that is
> considered desirable in some red wines and a few whites. It may be
> induced by the winemaker or it may occur spontaneously. One of the
> by-products is a compound that gives wine the butter flavor. The oak
> aging may complement ML but they are not necessarily related.

Most notably, malo-lactic fermentation converts more tart
malic acid into softer lactic acid. The buttery notes are
a side-effect.

There are certainly specific bacteria which are used to
innoculate the wine to induce MLF.

Dana
Martin Field

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> AyTee wrote:
>> Malolactic fermentation is a secondary bacterial
>> fermentation that is
>> considered desirable in some red wines and a few whites.
>> It may be
>> induced by the winemaker or it may occur spontaneously.
>> One of the
>> by-products is a compound that gives wine the butter
>> flavor. The oak
>> aging may complement ML but they are not necessarily
>> related.

> Most notably, malo-lactic fermentation converts more tart
> malic acid into softer lactic acid. The buttery notes are
> a side-effect.
>
> There are certainly specific bacteria which are used to
> innoculate the wine to induce MLF.
>
> Dana

The compound (from lactobacillus induced MLF) that gives the
buttery notes is diacetyl - also found in butter. I read
somewhere that it is diacetyl that gives artificial butter
flavour to cinema popcorn. Fans of Seinfeld will know that
Jerry would rather have artificial butter flavour than real
butter on his popcorn. I do not know his opinion of buttery
chardonnay. If I never have an overoaked soft buttery
chardonnay again it will be far too soon.
Martin

Martin Field

buttery Chard RichD General 0 20-01-2012 05:31 AM
Buttery Popovers Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 04-06-2008 02:47 AM
Chardonnay question J J Levin Wine 8 02-05-2007 02:16 PM
A question about champagne? Pol Roger 1990 Brut Chardonnay Douglas Calvert Wine 4 14-06-2006 07:17 AM
Buttery Chardonnay Requested [email protected] Wine 21 28-02-2005 04:27 PM