Petra Hildebrandt

conrad wrote:

> Thanks for all the tips. I will try to improve next time.
>
> I thought I understood USA terms. UK term for A/P is "plain", ie no
> raising agent. You use "cake" flour. Does this contain a raising agent?
> We often use "self-raising" for for cakes, though I prefer plain and
> add the corect amount of baking soda and cream of tartar.

are you familiar with continental European flour types?

all purpose is what over here is called Type 405. Or your plain flour. Cake
flour is a finer ground with usually less gluten, made from low protein
wheat, while bread flour has more gluten (Type 550 over here). Cake flour
would be Type 00 in Germany (and Italy, Farina di grano ternero 00).

What I do when I need cake flour, is, use plain flour mixed with about 2-3
tablespoons of cornstarch per cup, and sift several times.

HTH,

Petra in Haburg, Germany