Ken Blake

In oups.com,
> typed:

>I would like to give my boss a bottle of wine for Xmas. He is
>very new
> to wine. He is around 50 years old and only started to try wine
> a few
> years ago.
>
> We've talked just a little bit about wine. I enjoy red and he
> enjoys
> white, but he says there's only a few chardonnays that he
> likes. He's
> described the chardonnay he likes best as buttery.
>
> I seem to recall hearing that some chardonnays go through a
> process
> that gives a buttery flavor. Is this a double dip in the oak
> barrel,
> or something? It's a distinct flavor to some chardonnays only.
>
> Can anyone tell me what it is that gives the chardonnay this
> flavor

Malolactic fermentation.

> and some suggestions of wine to buy?

It's probably best to ask in your local store for what
Chardonnays they have that exhibit a lot of this character.
There's no point in someone recommending something if your store
doesn't carry it or if it's more or less than you plan on
spending.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup