Default "buttery" chardonnay question

I would like to give my boss a bottle of wine for Xmas. He is very new
to wine. He is around 50 years old and only started to try wine a few
years ago.

We've talked just a little bit about wine. I enjoy red and he enjoys
white, but he says there's only a few chardonnays that he likes. He's
described the chardonnay he likes best as buttery.

I seem to recall hearing that some chardonnays go through a process
that gives a buttery flavor. Is this a double dip in the oak barrel, or
something? It's a distinct flavor to some chardonnays only.

Can anyone tell me what it is that gives the chardonnay this flavor and
some suggestions of wine to buy? My price range would be on the low-end
because I want to also give him two wine glasses and I don't want to
spend too much.

Thanks for your help!
Karen