Vic Whirlwind

Thanks for the advice. Couldn't I just add extra tartaric after malolactic
if it tasted flat? Since many of the best apple ciders contain residual
sugar to bring out the apples, I made the vinifera comment to distinguish
what I am making (dry, full-bodied apple wine) from apple cider. In my
opinion, the best country wines mimic the styles of vinifera wines--that's
why I like Jack's recipes--the wines don't taste like the starting fruit.

It's pretty hard to grow vinifera vines here in Georgia (or impossible),
but I can drive an hour into the mountains and get a bushel of apples for
about $5. That's why, if I could get something even remotely resembling the
buttery flavor of a chardonnay, I would be a pretty happy guy. In addition,
malolactic takes away the "fruity" taste in wines, so I thought that might
move my wine even one more step away from cider and one more toward wine.

Vic

. com...