Bubba

Default Experimental larding

I've been the recipient of two deer shoulders that I am cooking for an
office party. I intend to smoke them (I know, I know....hang on!). I
figure, if larded, they might come out edible, but I don't own a larding
needle. I've tried the "stick and stuff" routine with frozen fat but
have never had good results. It occurred to me that there was no reason
that I couldn't inject the shoulders with fat, the idea being that if I
catch the fat at the liquid stage (but still cool enough to not damage
my syringe) that the fat would: a) Congeal in the cool meat, and
therefore not leak out. b) liquefy at smoking temps. c) Moisturize the
meat without leaving me with globs of unrendered fat when the meat is
cooked.
I'll be happy to hear from anyone that's ever done this.
And glad to post the results.

Ideas, comments, etc?

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?