Frogleg

Default Sweet Wine Substitute - Help Request !!!!!!!!!!

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:21:35 -0500, Jerry Avins > wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> ... You shouldn't need to
>> worry wbout cooking with wine as almost all of the alcohol evaporates,
>> leaving about as much alcohol as you'd find in bread.

>That's what I thought too, until a thread here, citing actual tests,
>showed otherwise. I don't see much alcohol surviving a serious
>reduction, but most of the alcohol in wine to flavor stews and for
>ordinary deglazing stays in the pot. What we hadn't figured on is the
>strong affinity that water and alcohol have for each other. Although
>alcohol might evaporate by itself, it doesn't easily separate from water.

Whatever. The point is that if someone wishes to cook *without*
alcohol, the answer isn't "oh, well, it goes away, mostly." That
wasn't the question. Substitutes for "sweet wine" might include white
or purple grape juice, apple cider/juice, or other fruit juices.