Musky Killer

Default Sweet Wine Substitute - Help Request !!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

I am making a recipe which calls for 'Sweet Wine' is there a substitute
without alcohol I can use for this item ??

Thank you !

Signed:

Rookie In The Kitchen

Julia Altshuler

You don't say what the recipe is for. Grape juice would be my first
guess for a non-alcoholic substitute for sweet wine, but knowing what
the finished product is supposed to be is a prerequisite for any answer.

--Lia

Musky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am making a recipe which calls for 'Sweet Wine' is there a substitute
> without alcohol I can use for this item ??
>
> Thank you !
>
> Signed:
>
> Rookie In The Kitchen

Musky Killer

Hello Julia,

Well, this is a strange one, but I bought a book called "Roman Cookery" by
Mark Grant from Amazon. Yup, u guessed it, ancient-roman meals. Many of
them call for a 'Sweet Wine' to be used. In this case, it is for a meal
called:

"Hare In A Sweet Sauce"

It states:

"1/2 pint sweet white wine.....you need the sweetest dessert wine you can
find to give the dish the sweet and sour flavour of which the Romans were so
fond."

So there you have it. An unusual meal; but should be fun to make and eat
during the Christmas holidays

Cordially,

MK

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> You don't say what the recipe is for. Grape juice would be my first
> guess for a non-alcoholic substitute for sweet wine, but knowing what
> the finished product is supposed to be is a prerequisite for any answer.
>
> --Lia
>

> Musky wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am making a recipe which calls for 'Sweet Wine' is there a substitute
> > without alcohol I can use for this item ??
> >
> > Thank you !
> >
> > Signed:
> >
> > Rookie In The Kitchen

Jerry Avins

Musky wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am making a recipe which calls for 'Sweet Wine' is there a substitute
> without alcohol I can use for this item ??
>
> Thank you !
>
> Signed:
>
> Rookie In The Kitchen

Concord grape juice. Manischevitz is one brand.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Julia Altshuler

In that case, you definitely want grape juice. I'd say Welch's red, but
the color is up for debate.
--Lia

Musky wrote:

> Well, this is a strange one, but I bought a book called "Roman Cookery" by
> Mark Grant from Amazon. Yup, u guessed it, ancient-roman meals. Many of
> them call for a 'Sweet Wine' to be used. In this case, it is for a meal
> called:
>
> "Hare In A Sweet Sauce"
>
> It states:
>
> "1/2 pint sweet white wine.....you need the sweetest dessert wine you can
> find to give the dish the sweet and sour flavour of which the Romans were so
> fond."

WardNA

>You shouldn't need to
>worry wbout cooking with wine as almost all of the alcohol evaporates,
>leaving about as much alcohol as you'd find in bread.

And if you're worried about alcohol residues, you'll have to give up vanilla
extract, as well.
Jerry Avins

Steve Wertz wrote:
> ... You shouldn't need to
> worry wbout cooking with wine as almost all of the alcohol evaporates,
> leaving about as much alcohol as you'd find in bread.

That's what I thought too, until a thread here, citing actual tests,
showed otherwise. I don't see much alcohol surviving a serious
reduction, but most of the alcohol in wine to flavor stews and for
ordinary deglazing stays in the pot. What we hadn't figured on is the
strong affinity that water and alcohol have for each other. Although
alcohol might evaporate by itself, it doesn't easily separate from water.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Peggy

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> In that case, you definitely want grape juice. I'd say Welch's red, but
> the color is up for debate.
> --Lia
>

> Musky wrote:
>
>> Well, this is a strange one, but I bought a book called "Roman
>> Cookery" by
>> Mark Grant from Amazon. Yup, u guessed it, ancient-roman meals. Many of
>> them call for a 'Sweet Wine' to be used. In this case, it is for a meal
>> called:
>>
>> "Hare In A Sweet Sauce"
>>
>> It states:
>>
>> "1/2 pint sweet white wine.....you need the sweetest dessert wine you can
>> find to give the dish the sweet and sour flavour of which the Romans
>> were so
>> fond."

Grape juice? Manischewitz? Ugh! They're yucky and they're purple!
Try a Riesling or Vidal ice wine, or a Vignoles or Ravat (the latter two
are different names for the same grape).Make sure the residual sugar is
3% or more (ask the wine-store staff). They're all sweet white wines
with a good acid balance, and would be wonderful for cooking rabbit.

Cheers!
Peg

Julia Altshuler

When people like the original poster say they're looking for an
alcohol-free substitute, they can have 2 reasons in mind. They might be
thinking of health and nutrition concerns, or they might be thinking of
religious issues.

If it is a matter of health and nutrition, I'm glad to point out that
the alcohol evaporates out during cooking so they have nothing to worry
about. I get interested in exactly how much alcohol is left and how
that compares with amounts in vanilla extract or bread.

But if the underlying reason is religious, I have to stop and assume the
person knows the tenets of his/her religion better than I do. I'm sure
it doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not here to point out that I think
their religion is senseless. Pointing out that the alcohol evaporates
out of the wine would be like pointing out that there's no pork left on
the dish after it has been washed. They know that.

--Lia

In rec.food.cooking Musky Killer > wrote:
> Hello,

> I am making a recipe which calls for 'Sweet Wine' is there a substitute
> without alcohol I can use for this item ??

Probably grape juice, but it really depends on the recipe.

In rec.food.cooking Musky Killer > wrote:

> It states:

> "1/2 pint sweet white wine.....you need the sweetest dessert wine you can
> find to give the dish the sweet and sour flavour of which the Romans were so
> fond."

> So there you have it. An unusual meal; but should be fun to make and eat
> during the Christmas holidays

So why not buy a bottle of a sweet white dessert wine? Is there someone
who will be eating the dish who has a problem with alcohol? If not, then
there really is no reason not to use the recommended kind of wine. If you
do have someone who has trouble with alcohol, then white grapejuice might
work, but it certainly won't be the same as if you used a sweet white wine.

Frogleg

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:21:35 -0500, Jerry Avins > wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> ... You shouldn't need to
>> worry wbout cooking with wine as almost all of the alcohol evaporates,
>> leaving about as much alcohol as you'd find in bread.

>That's what I thought too, until a thread here, citing actual tests,
>showed otherwise. I don't see much alcohol surviving a serious
>reduction, but most of the alcohol in wine to flavor stews and for
>ordinary deglazing stays in the pot. What we hadn't figured on is the
>strong affinity that water and alcohol have for each other. Although
>alcohol might evaporate by itself, it doesn't easily separate from water.

Whatever. The point is that if someone wishes to cook *without*
alcohol, the answer isn't "oh, well, it goes away, mostly." That
wasn't the question. Substitutes for "sweet wine" might include white
or purple grape juice, apple cider/juice, or other fruit juices.
Steve House

If it is a cooked recipe, the alcohol will evaporate during the cooking
process so it's moot whether it starts with alcohol or not. Some people
claim that even a few parts-per-million order of magnitude residue would
be unacceptable but that defys both common sense and basic biochemistry
and pharmacology 101 and I simply don't buy it. Even your basic fresh
squeezed orange juice or nice crispy apple contains a slight trace of
ethanol. If it's not going to be cooked, then a de-alcoholized wine
could be used.

"Musky Killer" > wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am making a recipe which calls for 'Sweet Wine' is there a

substitute
> without alcohol I can use for this item ??
>
> Thank you !
>
> Signed:
>
> Rookie In The Kitchen

Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve House" > wrote in message
> If it is a cooked recipe, the alcohol will evaporate during the cooking
> process so it's moot whether it starts with alcohol or not. Some people
> claim that even a few parts-per-million order of magnitude residue would
> be unacceptable but that defys both common sense and basic biochemistry
> and pharmacology 101 and I simply don't buy it.

But there may be more than a few parts per million. See below.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

But, what about cooking with alcohol? This seems to be of concern to some
of you as we occasionally call for alcohol in our cooking -- it's an
excellent way to add flavor to foods. Most, but not all of the alcohol
disappears, or evaporates, leaving few calories.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has published the following table of
alcohol content in cooked foods. Our dietitian uses this information in
determining the nutritional analysis and exchanges of any recipe in which we
call for alcohol. You might find the results interesting and helpful in
your cooking of other recipes which include alcohol.

preparation method percent retained

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%

alcohol flamed 75%

no heat, stored overnight 70%

baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%

baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture

15 minutes 40%

30 minutes 35%

1 hour 25%

1.5 hours 20%

2 hours 10%

2.5 hours 5%

What if you and/or your doctor decides that you should not cook with
alcohol -- what substitutions can you make in our recipes and that of others
which call for wine, beer, etc.

In savory dishes for each cup (240 ml) of wine in the recipe, substitute 7/8
cup (210 ml) of fat-free low-sodium chicken, beef, vegetable broth, apple
juice, white grape juice, or tomato juice, with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh
lemon juice or vinegar.

In desserts, substitute fruit juice for the wine, adding a dash of balsamic
vinegar to the juice.

For orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier, use an equivalent amount of frozen
orange juice concentrate plus some grated orange zest.

For coffee liqueur, use double-strength espresso or instant coffee made with
4 to 6 times the amount of coffee normally used.

For brandy or rum, try a small amount of brandy or rum extract, or pure
vanilla extract.

Wine availability request DaleW Wine 1 15-03-2011 07:50 PM
request: Sweet Pizza Barry Gold General Cooking 17 06-03-2011 02:43 AM
Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute? Kalmia General Cooking 35 12-07-2010 01:58 AM
Substitute for port wine in dessert? Lenona General Cooking 5 21-11-2009 01:12 PM
wine information QA request [email protected] Wine 0 07-01-2005 07:15 PM