Bob

Michael wrote:

> I would bake to bake a bunch of different types of cakes, using 4" inch,
> 1-cup capacity tube cake pans.
>
> For recipes that request one 10" tube cake pan, how many of those mini
> tube cake pans do I need?

Easy way to find out: Fill a 10" tube pan with water, then ladle/pour out
the water into a measuring pitcher. The number of cups which fit in the pan
is the same as the number of 1-cup pans you'll need.

You can also figure it out using calculus: You want the volume of the solid
of rotation created by rotating a displaced parabola around the Y axis. The
outer edge of the parabola is 5" from the origin, the height of the parabola
is around four or five inches, and the inner edge is about an inch and a
half to two inches. The solution is left as an exercise for the student. [I
used to teach calculus.]

Bob