Vox Humana

Default first birthday cake

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Mon, 10 May 2004 19:14:51 GMT in
> >, (Vox Humana)
> wrote :
>

> >"Darrell Grainger" > wrote in
> >message ...
> >> My god-child is turning 1 next month and I want to make a cake for
> >> her. I know there are restrictions on what I can put in the cake
> >> (nuts, eggs, honey, etc.).
> >>
> >> My problem is that I don't know what kind of cake to make her. I was
> >> thinking about a simple vanilla cake or a chiffon cake. Do I bake it
> >> in the shape of something? Can I build something? I remember seeing a
> >> cake that was a very three dimensional panda bear. Anyone know how
> >> these are made? I tried hunting around the web but I couldn't find
> >> anything about technique.
> >>
> >> Additionally, what would a 1 year old girl like? I was thinking
> >> something like Blues Clues, Winnie The Pooh or Hello Kitty. Any other
> >> suggestions?

> >I know this will sound harsh, but you are really baking the cake for
> >you. The one year old would be happy with Hostess Twinkie and a sippy
> >cup of Kool Aid.

> Don't underestimate how much kids can sense and appreciate the difference
> between a good and bad cake. While it's true to say that a young child

will
> be perfectly happy with a Twinkie, I have also seen that even very young
> children do notice the difference between a good cake and a Twinkie, if
> they've been exposed to both, and will choose the good cake preferentially
> over the Twinkie.

I read the same sort of thing on the Disney World newsgroups about how
people can only stay at Disney's deluxe resorts because the toddler can tell
the difference between a parlor suite on the concierge floor of the Grand
Floridian Resort and Spa over a standard room a value resort like Disney's
Pop Century resort.