Vox Humana

Default first birthday cake

"Darrell Grainger" > wrote in message
> My god-child is turning 1 next month and I want to make a cake for her. I
> know there are restrictions on what I can put in the cake (nuts, eggs,
> honey, etc.).
>
> My problem is that I don't know what kind of cake to make her. I was
> thinking about a simple vanilla cake or a chiffon cake. Do I bake it in
> the shape of something? Can I build something? I remember seeing a cake
> that was a very three dimensional panda bear. Anyone know how these are
> made? I tried hunting around the web but I couldn't find anything about
> technique.
>
> Additionally, what would a 1 year old girl like? I was thinking something
> like Blues Clues, Winnie The Pooh or Hello Kitty. Any other suggestions?

I know this will sound harsh, but you are really baking the cake for you.
The one year old would be happy with Hostess Twinkie and a sippy cup of Kool
Aid. Therefore, you should make a cake that pleases you, taking into
consideration any dietary restrictions noted by the parents. If you want
ideas for cakes, I would recommend picking up a copy of the Wilton Yearbook
of Cake Decorating. This is a magazine format publication available where
cake decorating supplies are sold. It will have dozens of example of cakes
with instruction detailing the equipment and techniques particular to the
production of each cake.