Vox Humana

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message

> > You might also try using some citric acid powder to for the acid

component
> > if the flavor of vinegar won't work for your purpose. Citric acid is

used
> > in a lot of food and beverages.

> unfortunately he has severe food allergies and cannot have any citric acid
> or fruit derivative.

I don't mean to cause trouble here, but allergic responses are triggered by
very large molecules, generally proteins. I find it nearly impossible to
believe that citric acid would be an allergen. I would also doubt that
commercially available citric acid would come from citrus fruit. According
to the following article, since about 1923, citric acid has been produced in
a fermentation process using Aspergillus niger and dairy whey..

http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB/...Al-Delaimy.htm

The other consideration is that one of the basic metabolic processes in the
body is the Krebs Cycle, also know as the CITRIC ACID cycle. Therefore,
citric acid (or citrate) is found in virtually all the cells in your body.
If someone were truly allergic to citric acid, it would be a fatal disease.
Here is like to information on the citric acid cycle.
http://people.unt.edu/~hds0006/tca/