pp

"Brian Lundeen" > wrote in message >...
> "pp" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > What temperature did you ferment at?

> 18-20C
> >
> > I'd suggest you contact Winexpert directly and ask them about what the
> > ending gravity should be for this kit - that should give you an idea
> > whether nonfermentable sugars are involved and they might have some
> > suggestions too what to do. It does sound weird.
> >

> Just as a followup, a friend of mine reminded me that Clinitest tablets will
> give me an accurate determination of remaining fermentable sugars, and from
> that standpoint, 3 different samples on a couple of scales gave me a reading
> of approx 0.5% fermentable sugars remaining. (I'm still working on attacking
> those via normal stuck fermentation techniques. The Beano has really done
> nothing to produce a more fermentable must).
>
> Anyway, my hydrometers give me readings of 0.997 (wide range) and 1.000
> (narrow range). A recent test of another wine yielded a .992 reading on the
> narrow range, so I know it is not reading abnormally high.
>
> At a conservative estimate then, there must be at least 1% residual sugar in
> this particular wine kit in a form that Clinitest does not pick up as a
> fermentable sugar. That IMO is unacceptable in a higher end kit.
>
> Brian

That's interesting. I'm wondering whether it's really the case that
Clinitest only picks up fermentable sugars - I guess this is more a
medical question. I'd still suggest you talk to Winexpert, it would be
interesting to see what they have to say. I know some of their (red)
kits end up with a high sg, but perhaps this is not sugar but other
solids... just a thought. I've only done Spagnols' Australian Chard
and that was bone dry - 0.990.

Pp