Alex Chaihorsky

"pilo_" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Michiel van der Kraats > wrote:
>
>> My mother brought some tea back from her trip through China.
>> Unfortunately we have no idea what kind of tea it is. It's a mix of
>> stems and big rolled up leaves, quite coarse. It has a faint smokey
>> aroma. It doesn't seem like a green tea but not exactly black either.

> well, given that there are literally thousands of China
> teas, it's not much info to go on, but the reference to
> a smokey aroma might suggest lapsang souchong, but
> it has more than a faint smokey note.

My guess would be Shui Xian. Brew it and see if the leaves when they fully
unfold will be rather large, greenish-slightly-brown with brown lining along
the very edges.
Some Te Guan Yins ("blacker" ones) can also give a hint of smokyness (but
less than Shui Xian) in that case the leaves will be squished into tiny
balls or "sausages" and will be quite leathery to the touch (again I ma
talking about leaves that fully opened after two or three long steeps.

Sasha.