Wayne Boatwright

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in
:

> "TammyM" > wrote in message
>>
>> Oi. I'm looking into freezing some baked goods for later use. The
>> Pillsbury site sez that custard pies like pumpkin can be frozen.
>> The Betty Croker site sez that custard pies, including pumpkin, do not
>> freeze successfully. I'm caught between Betty and the Pillsbury
>> doughboy (sounds rather naughty...) Who to believe? Anyone have any
>> words of wisdom born of actual experience?
>>
>> On a related subject, all the sites seem to agree that freezing
>> cookies, either baked or just the dough, works out just fine.
>>
>> I'm just trying to find ways to ameliorate that last minute hectic out
>> of my mind holiday scramble!
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Tammy
>> Saccamenna, Caulifornia

> I made and froze pumpkin and sweet tater pies last year when we had a
> bumper crop. Thawed the last one a week or so ago. Not that I
> recommend keeping one in the deep freeze for a year, but the taste was
> fine. Just thawed it and popped it in the oven to heat through.
> Wrapped foil around the crust to keep it from burning, though.
>
> When I froze them, I put them in three layers of aluminum foil first.
>
> -Ginny

They also work quite well freezing them unbaked. First freeze the pie
shell, then pour in the filling, place on a cookie sheet, and put in the
freezer. Freeze until firm. They can then be vacuumed packed or wrapped
in plastic film and then in foil. Bake the frozen pie (do not thaw) at
375°F for 75-90 minutes, or until filling is firm. Watch crust and cover
edge of crust with foil if browning too quickly.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.