Vincent

"RobertsonChai" wrote in message

<snip>

> Sulfites, by the way, only affect in a life-threatening way a miniscule

portion
> of the population. In all of the complaints about wine-drinking I've ever

ever
> heard, the main culprit is alcohol, plain and stupid.
>
> You drink too much, and then you complain about your allergies to

sulfites. Or
> histamines. Or tannins.
>
> Sorry, this is bullshit.

No, not the case at all. At 46 years old, I'm well aquainted with hangovers.
These are not hangover headaches I am refering to. But one glass of a cheap
California white can produce a near-migraine the following morning. Two
glasses, full-blast. Same wine, one month later, with another type food...
same results. Other wines in-between, no problems!! Why?

I can split a 1/2 bottle of Sauternes with my wife, followed by 3/4 of a
full bottle of Bordeuax (wife drinks the other 1/4) without the slightest
headache (for either of us), ever. Now I'm not trying to single out
California, or say that France doesn't make cheap headache producing wines
as well, only that the "problem" ones that make it to my supermarket shelf
are the cheap whites from California. Most any white will taste "okay" to
me, which is why I continue to experiment with them (and do find many that I
enjoy that do not cause headaches). But enjoyable reds in the $4.99 - $6.99
price range are harder to come by, so I don't purchase many, thus cannot
comment on them.

<snip>

\/