Trevor J. Wilson

<<One uses high protein flour in any case. Does not seem to me to protect
against raggy dough resulting from soured preferments.>>

I'm referring to flour with 13%-14% protein vs. 11%-12%. Don't presume that
I use high protein flour in all cases. As for your experience with high
protein flour not protecting from raggy dough -- I will not argue that.
However, in my experience it helps significantly.

And I have no pictures to show. I have not had a working oven in 2 years as
my landlord has no inclination to fix it.

Trevor

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Trevor J. Wilson" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> I should also add that when you create your "sour" loaf with this method
> you
> should use a high protein flour in order to protect against gluten
> degradation, otherwise your loaf will begin to tear before it is ready to
> be
> baked.

One uses high protein flour in any case. Does not seem to me to protect
against
raggy dough resulting from soured preferments.

Earlier this year I found something about cereal aspartic proteinases which
may be relevant, not to assume that that one is the only possibility for
chewing up gluten. That is discussed in:

Can you show a photo of the bread you describe in
ink.net
(loaf and slice)?

--
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com