Piedmont

Default Carolina Pulled Pork is bad!!!

Well, I'm back from Columbia, SC, (only and hour away) and their first SCBA
sanctioned, Carolina Q Fest, with one thing to say.

I don't like pulled pork!

At least any and all of the pulled pork that I sampled. The best I can say
is that all of the pork had zero taste. And I mean zero taste! If they
didn't add some kind of sauce after the meat was cooked, it would have been
quite bland. This is the same as the pork that I ate in Lexington, NC at the
Lexington.

As best as I can figure is that all of these meats were cooked indirectly.
Regardless of gas, coals or wood. The cookers that I could peer into had
drip shelves that were in between the heat and the meat. Almost the same at
the Lexington but in a much different way. There they cook shoulders which
had thick skin all around which would give the same indirectness to the
process.

Now when I do a Boston butt, minus any skin. I cook it directly over coals
and wood, which infuses allot of flavor. When I did my one and only whole
hog in my Freezer Q, I did it the same way, no skin, direct over the coals
and wood. It was very flavorful.

I guess it's what your use to but braggin about a meat that has virtually
zero flavor ain't my cup O tea. I've even had roast of pork from a common
oven that had more flavor. Between the 16 sources that I've had to date, I'm
done with Carolina pulled pork! Yuuchh!

Piedmont