Piedmont

Default Carolina Pulled Pork is bad!!!

Well, I'm back from Columbia, SC, (only and hour away) and their first SCBA
sanctioned, Carolina Q Fest, with one thing to say.

I don't like pulled pork!

At least any and all of the pulled pork that I sampled. The best I can say
is that all of the pork had zero taste. And I mean zero taste! If they
didn't add some kind of sauce after the meat was cooked, it would have been
quite bland. This is the same as the pork that I ate in Lexington, NC at the
Lexington.

As best as I can figure is that all of these meats were cooked indirectly.
Regardless of gas, coals or wood. The cookers that I could peer into had
drip shelves that were in between the heat and the meat. Almost the same at
the Lexington but in a much different way. There they cook shoulders which
had thick skin all around which would give the same indirectness to the
process.

Now when I do a Boston butt, minus any skin. I cook it directly over coals
and wood, which infuses allot of flavor. When I did my one and only whole
hog in my Freezer Q, I did it the same way, no skin, direct over the coals
and wood. It was very flavorful.

I guess it's what your use to but braggin about a meat that has virtually
zero flavor ain't my cup O tea. I've even had roast of pork from a common
oven that had more flavor. Between the 16 sources that I've had to date, I'm
done with Carolina pulled pork! Yuuchh!

Piedmont

Edwin Pawlowski

"Piedmont" > wrote in message

> . Between the 16 sources that I've had to date, I'm
> done with Carolina pulled pork! Yuuchh!

Good. If everyone liked it, pulled pork would become very popular and that
would drive up the price. I'll take your share, thank you.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Michael

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Well, I'm back from Columbia, SC, (only and hour away) and their first

SCBA
> sanctioned, Carolina Q Fest, with one thing to say.
>
> I don't like pulled pork!

I don't like trolls but this one got me.

cl

Piedmont wrote:

> Between the 16 sources that I've had to date, I'm
> done with Carolina pulled pork! Yuuchh!

That is why Memphis Style rules!

-CAL
Yip Yap

"Piedmont" > wrote in message >...
> Well, I'm back from Columbia, SC, (only and hour away) and their first SCBA
> sanctioned, Carolina Q Fest, with one thing to say.
>
> I don't like pulled pork!

That's why the local BBQ joints put out that yellow
vinegar-based sauce in bottles on the tables. Gives
the meat some flavor and makes it moister too.

-- Yip

Piedmont

"Yip Yap" > wrote in message
om...
> "Piedmont" > wrote in message

> > Well, I'm back from Columbia, SC, (only and hour away) and their first

SCBA
> > sanctioned, Carolina Q Fest, with one thing to say.
> >
> > I don't like pulled pork!

> That's why the local BBQ joints put out that yellow
> vinegar-based sauce in bottles on the tables. Gives
> the meat some flavor and makes it moister too.
>
> -- Yip

I can say that at the Lexington they sell "brown" which does have some
flavor to it. But most of the sauce around here is red/vinegar. There was
one cook at the Carolina Q Cup who, even though there was no taste to the
meat, did indeed have a very, very good thin red vinegar sauce, a little
spicy and a little sweet. I went back and told him so too!
Peace and Love,
Piedmont

Piedmont

"Michael" > wrote in message

> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
> > Well, I'm back from Columbia, SC, (only and hour away) and their first

> SCBA
> > sanctioned, Carolina Q Fest, with one thing to say.
> >
> > I don't like pulled pork!

> I don't like trolls but this one got me.

Sorry Skippy, Not a troll, been on the newsgroup since before ya came off
the tit.
Peace and Love,
Piedmont, aka sweets, aka mike willsey (check the google records)

dougedmunds

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote...

> I'll take your share, thank you.

Save me the outside brown.
BOB

Michael wrote:
> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>> Well, I'm back from Columbia, SC, (only and hour away) and their first SCBA
>> sanctioned, Carolina Q Fest, with one thing to say.
>>
>> I don't like pulled pork!

> I don't like trolls but this one got me.

Mike's no troll. Maybe his taste buds are sort of messed up, but he's no troll.

BOB

Piedmont

BOB wrote:
|| Michael wrote:
||| I don't like trolls but this one got me.
|| Mike's no troll. Maybe his taste buds are sort of messed up, but
|| he's no troll.
|| BOB

Yea, so there! Whaa! Wait a minute!
Piedmont

Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:51:39 -0400, "Piedmont" >
wrote:

>"Michael" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>> > Well, I'm back from Columbia, SC, (only and hour away) and their first

>> SCBA
>> > sanctioned, Carolina Q Fest, with one thing to say.
>> >
>> > I don't like pulled pork!

>> I don't like trolls but this one got me.
>>

>Sorry Skippy, Not a troll, been on the newsgroup since before ya came off
>the tit.
>Peace and Love,
>Piedmont, aka sweets, aka mike willsey (check the google records)

Ferrkrissakes, Piedmont! I was just listening to 'Sweets' on the air
recently and wondered what had become of you. Why did you change your
nick?

Harry
Matthew L. Martin

BOB wrote:

> JD wrote:
>

>>Maybe not so messed up; the best pulled pork I ever ate was in the
>>Carolinas. So was the worst. Guess he just had a bad run.
>>
>>JD

> Fair enough. I've heard similar stories about the worst. Just "living" off the
> reputation of the area and catering to unsuspecting tourists, I guess.

How much money can you save by making less than good pulled pork? IMSLE,
good pulled pork is very easy to make.

Matthew
Piedmont

Brick wrote:
SNIP
|| I think there is a basic misunderstanding here. Bob in GA uses a
|| full grown
|| block pit where the meat is about two feet above the coals. Ginger
|| the BBQ
|| girl burns down oak logs to live coals and then judiciously shovels
|| them
|| around the edges of the firepit. He's never said (that I know of,
|| what the temperature actually is at the grate.) I think he judges
|| the temp by sticking
|| his hand in there. They cook the hog skin side up until the meat is
|| done and
|| then turn it over to crisp up the skin. We're talking about a
|| serious pit here. Ginger has to use a step ladder to mess with the
|| cooking level. There's a lot
|| of easier ways to do it, but it's hard to beat the real thing.
|| (Check the FAQ,
|| you should find Bob's entire description there.) No secrets at all.
|| --
|| Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Not really an understanding, I've read through Bob's cooking info and looked
at the pics of his pit/s over the web. It seemed to me that Bob cooked his
hog meat down/skin up, that the meat juices would splatter onto the coals
and add to the flavor.

Plus that Bob seems to use a hotter heat which probably helps give a "roast"
taste. He also seems to be cooking at the same distance between the pig and
coals as what I saw at the Lexington. Except they use pork shoulder which
still has the skin on, all around the meat, thereby sheilding it from the
influence of the vapors.

At the Lexington they shovel in hots coals probably similar to Bob. It was
by reading through Bob's cooking info that got me to thinking and doing pork
direct over coals but with the meat placed higher than a standard grill.

I could have misinterpreted this but regardless, the pork that I have cooked
myself, indirectly and with skin on shoulders tasted as bland as bland as
the pulled pork here in the Carolinas, but that the pork that I cook
directly over coals has a great falvor to in, in addition to the wood smoke
that I add to it.

Anyway its all just IMHO and many others that were raised with it will
always like it which I'm not knocking, Probably as they would knock at me
for being raised with and liking grilled chicken and ribs cooked on a grill
then having bbq sauce glazed on it at the end of the cook time.

Peace and Love

Piedmont

Piedmont

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
|| On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:51:39 -0400, "Piedmont" >
|| wrote:
||| Sorry Skippy, Not a troll, been on the newsgroup since before ya
||| came off the tit.
||| Peace and Love,
||| Piedmont, aka sweets, aka mike willsey (check the google records)
|| Ferrkrissakes, Piedmont! I was just listening to 'Sweets' on the
|| air recently and wondered what had become of you. Why did you
|| change your nick?
|| Harry

Sweets on the air? Don't know who that was! When I lived in Indiana and just
getting on the newsgroups and AFB I used my real name, then watched Ken
Burns Jazz and saw a jazz man that played in Kansas City in places that sold
booze and bbq so I gave myself the "Sweets" handle.

Which I used while I lived in Illinois, now that I have been in South
Carolina for 'bout 2 years, I live in the "Piedmont" geographical region
between the Mountains and the Ocean. So I though, cool, I'll try out a new
handle representing my new stage of life and residence.

I love it here! Beautiful weather! I didn't know there was so much blue sky!
Around the great lakes the sky is overcsat to clouding most of the time.
Average winter temp here is 50 degrees, got 4 acres with woods so I got
plenty of split wood to make my lump. I'm in heaven here, semi retired, work
as a substitute teacher, both me and the new wife. I've collected a pile of
used bricks and someday hope to put together a large brick cooker out back,
covered roof and all.

Piedmont

Michael

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> BOB wrote:
> || Mike's no troll. Maybe his taste buds are sort of messed up, but
> || he's no troll.
> || BOB
>
> Yea, so there! Whaa! Wait a minute!
> Piedmont

Geography is kind of screwed up also. SC for pulled pork?

Try Allen & Sons, Stamey's, Bridges, or The Skylight. Log burners that have
real pulled pork. Of course there is Sweatman's in SC.

There are so many Q places in the Carolinas that many have gone to gas just
to keep up w/ the demand. Flip's BBQ in Wilmington is just horrible but
still crowded. Go figure.

Cam

Piedmont Oct 26, 2:51 pm
>Sorry Skippy, Not a troll, been on the newsgroup since before ya came

off
>the tit.
>Peace and Love,
>Piedmont, aka sweets, aka mike willsey (check the google records)

You might be an old regular but you were trolling.

Cam

Jack Curry

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> BOB wrote:
>
>> JD wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe not so messed up; the best pulled pork I ever ate was in the
>>>Carolinas. So was the worst. Guess he just had a bad run.
>>>
>>>JD

>> Fair enough. I've heard similar stories about the worst. Just "living"
>> off the reputation of the area and catering to unsuspecting tourists, I
>> guess.
>>

> How much money can you save by making less than good pulled pork? IMSLE,
> good pulled pork is very easy to make.
>
> Matthew

I sure second that. Cook a butt over lump with some wood added until it's
pullable and it's gonna be pretty tasty unless it's overcooked and dried
out. A nice rub helps the bark, but just some S&P, maybe some garlic powder
is all it takes to produce a pretty fine plate full of pork. It's even good
leftover and reheated.

Jack Curry

Bruce

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:26:08 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>I think he judges the temp by sticking
>his hand in there.

Having visited Bob and Ginger several times and been personally
tutored by Bob in the fine art of rational HTH traditional BBQ. Bob
raises the lid about 4-5 inches and sticks his face in to check the
heat. I can personally attest to watching him do this and doing it
myself.

His face said just right and mine said too hot.<G>

Bruce

Bruce

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:09:22 -0400, "Piedmont" >
wrote:

> could have misinterpreted this but regardless, the pork that I have cooked
>myself, indirectly and with skin on shoulders tasted as bland as bland as
>the pulled pork here in the Carolinas, but that the pork that I cook
>directly over coals has a great falvor to in, in addition to the wood smoke
>that I add to it.

Probably the primary reason for this is the blandness of today's ultra
lean brined pork being pawned off on today's consumers.

If you take one of Bob's hogs or a hog that has been raised naturally
and slower with the intent of adding some fat, the flavor contrast is
unbelievable. I grilled some pork chops over wood coals at Bob's a
couple of weeks ago. No salt or pepper. They were the juiciest and
most flavorful chops I've ever had. They did not need anything except
to be cooked. I would even bet they would have tasted better than most
any commercial pork broiled without seasoning in the oven.

Bruce

bbq

Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:26:08 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:
>

>>I think he judges the temp by sticking
>>his hand in there.

> Having visited Bob and Ginger several times and been personally
> tutored by Bob in the fine art of rational HTH traditional BBQ. Bob
> raises the lid about 4-5 inches and sticks his face in to check the
> heat. I can personally attest to watching him do this and doing it
> myself.
>
> His face said just right and mine said too hot.<G>

I have heard of the hand over coals test, but not face over coals. Hope
he don't have a long beard or hair :-)

BBQ

Big Jim

-- "bbq" > wrote in message

> Bruce wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:26:08 GMT, "Brick" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>I think he judges the temp by sticking
> >>his hand in there.

> > Having visited Bob and Ginger several times and been personally
> > tutored by Bob in the fine art of rational HTH traditional BBQ. Bob
> > raises the lid about 4-5 inches and sticks his face in to check the
> > heat. I can personally attest to watching him do this and doing it
> > myself.
> >
> > His face said just right and mine said too hot.<G>
> >

> I have heard of the hand over coals test, but not face over coals. Hope
> he don't have a long beard or hair :-)
>
> BBQ

He always looks like he hasn't shaved in a couple or three days.
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Brick

On 27-Oct-2004, Bruce > wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:26:08 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:
>
> >I think he judges the temp by sticking
> >his hand in there.

> Having visited Bob and Ginger several times and been personally
> tutored by Bob in the fine art of rational HTH traditional BBQ. Bob
> raises the lid about 4-5 inches and sticks his face in to check the
> heat. I can personally attest to watching him do this and doing it
> myself.
>
> His face said just right and mine said too hot.<G>
>
> Bruce

Bruce, that gave me a mind picture of you and Bob simultaneously
sticking your faces in there and Bob coming up saying "just right"
and you jumping back with no eyebrows. <g>

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Piedmont

"Michael" > wrote in message
>snip
> Try Allen & Sons, Stamey's, Bridges, or The Skylight. Log burners that

have
> real pulled pork. Of course there is Sweatman's in SC.

snip
What towns are they in?
Piedmont

TFM®

Brick wrote:
> On 27-Oct-2004, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:26:08 GMT, "Brick" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think he judges the temp by sticking
>>> his hand in there.

>> Having visited Bob and Ginger several times and been personally
>> tutored by Bob in the fine art of rational HTH traditional BBQ. Bob
>> raises the lid about 4-5 inches and sticks his face in to check the
>> heat. I can personally attest to watching him do this and doing it
>> myself.
>>
>> His face said just right and mine said too hot.<G>
>>
>> Bruce
>>

> Bruce, that gave me a mind picture of you and Bob simultaneously
> sticking your faces in there and Bob coming up saying "just right"
> and you jumping back with no eyebrows. <g>

Ha! Good one. Bruce is city folk, but he's pretty dang tough. He worked
his ass off that weekend in Georgia.

I helped some........I loaned him my cleaver while I drank. I'm such a nice
guy.

TFM®

ToLo

Piedmont said on 10/28/2004 3:33 PM:
> "Michael" > wrote in message
>
>>snip
>>Try Allen & Sons, Stamey's, Bridges, or The Skylight. Log burners that

> have
>
>>real pulled pork. Of course there is Sweatman's in SC.

> snip
> What towns are they in?
> Piedmont

I was just up there this week just south of Charlotte. Got to agree.
Tried the pork a couple of times and it tasted as described. Really
bland and tasteless.

Now, there a place just across the border from Alabama in Georgia off 20
that make it great. Looked out back and they had a BIG old smoker
cranking away. Great stuff. I always leave there with a big care package.

Hope someone has a suggestion for good "Q" in Charlotte. Have to go
back next week. Right now, leaning toward the spaghetti!!
ToLo

Piedmont said on 10/28/2004 3:33 PM:
> "Michael" > wrote in message
>
>>snip
>>Try Allen & Sons, Stamey's, Bridges, or The Skylight. Log burners that

> have
>
>>real pulled pork. Of course there is Sweatman's in SC.

> snip
> What towns are they in?
> Piedmont

I was just up there this week just south of Charlotte. Got to agree.
Tried the pork a couple of times and it tasted as described. Really
bland and tasteless.

Now, there a place just across the border from Alabama in Georgia off 20
that make it great. Looked out back and they had a BIG old smoker
cranking away. Great stuff. I always leave there with a big care package.

Hope someone has a suggestion for good "Q" in Charlotte. Have to go
back next week. Right now, leaning toward the spaghetti!!
Michael

"ToLo" > wrote in message
>> Hope someone has a suggestion for good "Q" in Charlotte. Have to go

> back next week. Right now, leaning toward the spaghetti!!

None to be had. Shelby or Lexington are your choices. Spoon's on the south
side and Bubba's on the north side are places where you eat the meat and two
special at lunch (ie chicken and dumplings or meatloaf) but forget the Q.
Bubba's stew is ok and his hushpuppies are fair.

I think the key is that what is passed off as pulled pork isn't. It's
gassed pig and crappy stew. Real North Carolina pulled or chopped pork is
to die for.

If you are going to be in Charlotte and one of the churches on the north
side of town is having a Q go to it. Mallard Creek is today and tomorrow
but Poplar Tent Presbie is next weekend, I think. This is the seventy fifth
Q at Mallard Creek. Poplar tent was given their land by the Queen of
England, been there a while. Nice to get a sammich and walk through the
graveyard.

Michael

"ToLo" > wrote in message
>> Hope someone has a suggestion for good "Q" in Charlotte. Have to go

> back next week. Right now, leaning toward the spaghetti!!

None to be had. Shelby or Lexington are your choices. Spoon's on the south
side and Bubba's on the north side are places where you eat the meat and two
special at lunch (ie chicken and dumplings or meatloaf) but forget the Q.
Bubba's stew is ok and his hushpuppies are fair.

I think the key is that what is passed off as pulled pork isn't. It's
gassed pig and crappy stew. Real North Carolina pulled or chopped pork is
to die for.

If you are going to be in Charlotte and one of the churches on the north
side of town is having a Q go to it. Mallard Creek is today and tomorrow
but Poplar Tent Presbie is next weekend, I think. This is the seventy fifth
Q at Mallard Creek. Poplar tent was given their land by the Queen of
England, been there a while. Nice to get a sammich and walk through the
graveyard.

BOB

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>
>> JD wrote:
>>

>>> Maybe not so messed up; the best pulled pork I ever ate was in the
>>> Carolinas. So was the worst. Guess he just had a bad run.
>>>
>>> JD

>> Fair enough. I've heard similar stories about the worst. Just "living" off
>> the reputation of the area and catering to unsuspecting tourists, I guess.
>>

> How much money can you save by making less than good pulled pork? IMSLE,
> good pulled pork is very easy to make.
>
> Matthew

I'd agree with you and think "not much". But considering all the so called
"BBQ" places that don't/won't make good stuff, you have to wonder why...

BOB

Bruce

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:40:32 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 27-Oct-2004, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:26:08 GMT, "Brick" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I think he judges the temp by sticking
>> >his hand in there.

>> Having visited Bob and Ginger several times and been personally
>> tutored by Bob in the fine art of rational HTH traditional BBQ. Bob
>> raises the lid about 4-5 inches and sticks his face in to check the
>> heat. I can personally attest to watching him do this and doing it
>> myself.
>>
>> His face said just right and mine said too hot.<G>
>>
>> Bruce
>>

>Bruce, that gave me a mind picture of you and Bob simultaneously
>sticking your faces in there and Bob coming up saying "just right"
>and you jumping back with no eyebrows. <g>

Pretty close. I'm bald now<G>

Here's a link to an article Bob wrote about Whole Hog Cooking followed
by the first time my wife and I visited Bob and Ginger. Pictures
included.

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/whole_hog.htm

Bruce

Duwop

"Bruce" > wrote in message >
> Here's a link to an article Bob wrote about Whole Hog Cooking followed
> by the first time my wife and I visited Bob and Ginger. Pictures
> included.
>
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/whole_hog.htm

Barbequing in high heels? Be still my heart! rarrRRRRrrrrr.

LOL, great pics of how he does it too.

ToLo

Michael said on 10/28/2004 8:23 PM:
> "ToLo" > wrote in message
>
>>>Hope someone has a suggestion for good "Q" in Charlotte. Have to go

>>back next week. Right now, leaning toward the spaghetti!!

> None to be had. Shelby or Lexington are your choices. Spoon's on the south
> side and Bubba's on the north side are places where you eat the meat and two
> special at lunch (ie chicken and dumplings or meatloaf) but forget the Q.
> Bubba's stew is ok and his hushpuppies are fair.
>
> I think the key is that what is passed off as pulled pork isn't. It's
> gassed pig and crappy stew. Real North Carolina pulled or chopped pork is
> to die for.
>
> If you are going to be in Charlotte and one of the churches on the north
> side of town is having a Q go to it. Mallard Creek is today and tomorrow
> but Poplar Tent Presbie is next weekend, I think. This is the seventy fifth
> Q at Mallard Creek. Poplar tent was given their land by the Queen of
> England, been there a while. Nice to get a sammich and walk through the
> graveyard.

Great! I have a Friday meeting in Charlotte and since I have to be in
Alabama the next week and again the week after, I plan on driving up
from Houston. Wife is going along because she has relatives in Alabama
and Georgia to visit and also has never been to Charlotte. We are
staying in Charlotte over the weekend so will be there for the Poplar
event. Appreciate the info.
ToLo

Michael said on 10/28/2004 8:23 PM:
> "ToLo" > wrote in message
>
>>>Hope someone has a suggestion for good "Q" in Charlotte. Have to go

>>back next week. Right now, leaning toward the spaghetti!!

> None to be had. Shelby or Lexington are your choices. Spoon's on the south
> side and Bubba's on the north side are places where you eat the meat and two
> special at lunch (ie chicken and dumplings or meatloaf) but forget the Q.
> Bubba's stew is ok and his hushpuppies are fair.
>
> I think the key is that what is passed off as pulled pork isn't. It's
> gassed pig and crappy stew. Real North Carolina pulled or chopped pork is
> to die for.
>
> If you are going to be in Charlotte and one of the churches on the north
> side of town is having a Q go to it. Mallard Creek is today and tomorrow
> but Poplar Tent Presbie is next weekend, I think. This is the seventy fifth
> Q at Mallard Creek. Poplar tent was given their land by the Queen of
> England, been there a while. Nice to get a sammich and walk through the
> graveyard.

Great! I have a Friday meeting in Charlotte and since I have to be in
Alabama the next week and again the week after, I plan on driving up
from Houston. Wife is going along because she has relatives in Alabama
and Georgia to visit and also has never been to Charlotte. We are
staying in Charlotte over the weekend so will be there for the Poplar
event. Appreciate the info.

Piedmont

ToLo,
I figure this is gonna be too late but, for what it's worth, Lexington NC,
is only about 1 hours/50 miles north of Charlotte, via Interstate 85. And
the Lexington Restraunt is right off the interstate 85. But I suggest
getting the "Brown". Also, The owner has no problems showing you his
kitchen/ovens if you ask. He is a very nice guy!
Piedmont

BOB

Duwop wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message >
>> Here's a link to an article Bob wrote about Whole Hog Cooking followed
>> by the first time my wife and I visited Bob and Ginger. Pictures
>> included.
>>
>> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/whole_hog.htm
>>

> Barbequing in high heels? Be still my heart! rarrRRRRrrrrr.
>
> LOL, great pics of how he does it too.

Heh, Heh!

I made that same comment the first time I read through that article.
Got jumped on for looking at the shoes and legs. ;-)
Was worth it, though!

BOB

ToLo

Piedmont said on 10/30/2004 6:47 AM:
> ToLo,
> I figure this is gonna be too late but, for what it's worth, Lexington NC,
> is only about 1 hours/50 miles north of Charlotte, via Interstate 85. And
> the Lexington Restraunt is right off the interstate 85. But I suggest
> getting the "Brown". Also, The owner has no problems showing you his
> kitchen/ovens if you ask. He is a very nice guy!
> Piedmont

Actually the trip is next week so you are right on time!! I'll check
out the Lexington Restaurant. Appreciate the heads up!
ToLo

Piedmont said on 10/30/2004 6:47 AM:
> ToLo,
> I figure this is gonna be too late but, for what it's worth, Lexington NC,
> is only about 1 hours/50 miles north of Charlotte, via Interstate 85. And
> the Lexington Restraunt is right off the interstate 85. But I suggest
> getting the "Brown". Also, The owner has no problems showing you his
> kitchen/ovens if you ask. He is a very nice guy!
> Piedmont

Actually the trip is next week so you are right on time!! I'll check
out the Lexington Restaurant. Appreciate the heads up!
Michael

"ToLo" > wrote in message
> Piedmont said on 10/30/2004 6:47 AM:
> > ToLo,
> > I figure this is gonna be too late but, for what it's worth, Lexington

NC,
> > is only about 1 hours/50 miles north of Charlotte, via Interstate 85.

And
> > the Lexington Restraunt is right off the interstate 85. But I suggest
> > getting the "Brown". Also, The owner has no problems showing you his
> > kitchen/ovens if you ask. He is a very nice guy!
> > Piedmont
> >

> Actually the trip is next week so you are right on time!! I'll check
> out the Lexington Restaurant. Appreciate the heads up!

Actually it's just beside Business 85. As you are headed north on 85 it
will split to the right about five or so miles north of Salisbury. Keep on
Business 85 when it splits with 52. About a mile after that split on the
left in a white building is Lexington BBQ. As soon as you see it get ready
to exit to your right after you cross a bridge. There will be a furniture
factory on the right at the exit. Go back under the bridge and try to find
a parking spot.

If you go down one more exit and bear to the right you'll go past the BBQ
Center. Within a hair of being as good as Lex #1. In fact I would
recommend hitting the Center after eating at Lex #1 for a banana split, they
a good and huge.

And I also would agree with Piedmont to ask for brown or outside meat at any
place in NC. If they don't know what you're talking about then I would
recommend leaving.