Duwop

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Duwop" > wrote in message
>>

> Nope, that is the right way. There is a difference between wood
> burned to coals and lump charcoal. In a perfect setup, the wood
> being converted to charcoal is burned in a low oxygen environment.
> The only thing left would be pure carbon. The process is not
> perfect, so it is not pure. What has happened though, is the
> byproducts of combustion have been driven off. Very little or no
> smoke is going to be seen or smelled when burned.

Then for sure those making the lump I use are imperfect, which I find
perfect for cooking.

> Burning wood to coals, you don't have the low oxygen, but you have
> natural draft. The wood is not burned as completely as in the
> charcoal making process. Thus, you do have more smoke flavor that is
> going to get onto the meat. The smoke has a couple of hundred
> chemical ingredients in it.

Makes sense.

> Depending on your goals, the lump you are using is either very good
> or very poor quality.

<BG> Yep, the goal being "like cooking with wood" this stuff is real good.

> If you see smoke, you probably have too much and the fire is not hot
> enough. If you like the end result, good for you, but billowing smoke
> is risky to the taste.

Now Harry, where did I say billowing? Maybe you forgot the point, that with
the lump brand I use there's enough wood flavor that adding chunks is
unecessary. Only time I have easily visible smoke is after adding cold lump
to the fire. And that only lasts a little bit.

> If you like it, that is what matters. I've had bbq that had so much
> rub and smoke flavor and then topped with sauce that I had no idea
> what the meat tasted like. Could have been pork, cat, rat, or some
> other road kill.

I hear ya, I started out doing up my meat like a 1 dollar hooker, now keep
it simple. And have oversmoked using firewood logs too. Live and learn.

And Mike, I'm just disagreeing to a point on how much flavor lump has, I
know you've made more BBQ than I will in my lifetime and enjoy your posts.