Ray Steinhart

Default Wood used commercially vs charcoal

I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the
use of whole wood. I use lump charcoal but do not seem to get the smoke
flavor I am looking for and I am thinking whole wood may be the answer.
I use a Brinkman vertical smoker with the side fire box- also called
the grill.

I am puzzled as to how restaurants can use whole wood.

Thanks for your answers.

Ray Steinhart

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:58:39 GMT, Ray Steinhart
> wrote:

>I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
>charcoal.

I don't recall seeing any comments here about not using whole wood.
Plenty of comments about not using unseasoned wood, or soft wood.

>Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
>whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the
>use of whole wood. I use lump charcoal but do not seem to get the smoke
>flavor I am looking for and I am thinking whole wood may be the answer.

Add chunks of hardwood or fruitwood to the lump. You'll get all the
smoke flavor you want.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Jack Sloan

"Ray Steinhart" > wrote in message
> I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
> charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
> whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the
> use of whole wood. I use lump charcoal but do not seem to get the smoke
> flavor I am looking for and I am thinking whole wood may be the answer.
> I use a Brinkman vertical smoker with the side fire box- also called
> the grill.
>
> I am puzzled as to how restaurants can use whole wood.
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Ray Steinhart

Many of us use wood . Or lump. Or both. Depends on what we're cooking .Wood
alone can give a strong flavor which some wives (mine) find objectionable.
Jack
Jack

GmagicB

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Ray Steinhart" > wrote in message
> > I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
> > charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
> > whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the
> > use of whole wood. I use lump charcoal but do not seem to get the smoke
> > flavor I am looking for and I am thinking whole wood may be the answer.
> > I use a Brinkman vertical smoker with the side fire box- also called
> > the grill.
> >
> > I am puzzled as to how restaurants can use whole wood.
> >
> > Thanks for your answers.
> >
> > Ray Steinhart

> Many of us use wood . Or lump. Or both. Depends on what we're cooking

..Wood
> alone can give a strong flavor which some wives (mine) find objectionable.
> Jack
> Jack

I've seen a couple of references here lately to smoking with pecan wood.
Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but I've always felt it was a little
"pitchy" for smoking. I use pecan for grilling, quite oftern, but the pecan
has always seemed a bit oily, leading the meat with a slightly bitter
flavor.

Maybe I'm using too much ?

Later,
George

Jack Curry

"Ray Steinhart" > wrote in message
>I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
>charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
>whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the use
>of whole wood. I use lump charcoal but do not seem to get the smoke flavor
>I am looking for and I am thinking whole wood may be the answer. I use a
>Brinkman vertical smoker with the side fire box- also called the grill.
>
> I am puzzled as to how restaurants can use whole wood.
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Ray Steinhart

Barbecue began with the burning of "whole" wood in a pit dug in the ground
and this method continues today in many forms. If there's a "secret" to
cooking barbecue, it's all in the control of the fire.
If you want to add smoke, either add wood to your lump charcoal or burn all
wood in the firebox.
If you want to add wood to your lump, consider wrapping a few fist-sized
chunks in heavy aluminum foil and tossing them in with the lump. They'll
smolder and emit good smoke for quite awhile, and you get a free lump of
charcoal when you're done. Or just toss a few chunks in and let them burn
down a bit.
Or.
Consider building a medium-sized fire from dry wood and allow it to burn
down to coals before putting meat in the cooking chamber (the trick is to
achieve a steady temperature in the cooking chamber and to have just a thin
blue smoke escaping from the chamber vent), then add a chunk of wood at a
time as necessary to maintain temperature and smoke level. Always leave the
upper vent open and control the air flow through the lower vent into the
firebox.
BBQ joints (the good ones) have pits that enable fire management, meaning
they achieve a relatively constant temperature accompanied by a proper smoke
stream. Too much smoke is worse than not enough, since creosote will
collect on the meat and produces a bitter, acrid taste.

Jack Curry
-it's all about the fire-

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ray Steinhart" > wrote in message
>I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
>charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
>whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the use
>of whole wood.

The Brinkman is designed for charcoal. You can add small amounts of wood to
get additional smoke flavor though.

The big pits have larger fire boxes that get plentyof air and a good hot
fire. Too much wood in the smaller units makes for cooker burning fires
that give off lots of creosote and other nasties. They require much more
tending also.

Split some wood down to pieces about 1 x 1 x 12 and toss one in every half
hour or so on top of the charcoal.

Gus

"GmagicB" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Jack Sloan" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Ray Steinhart" > wrote in message
> > > I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
> > > charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
> > > whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the
> > > use of whole wood. I use lump charcoal but do not seem to get the

smoke
> > > flavor I am looking for and I am thinking whole wood may be the

answer.
> > > I use a Brinkman vertical smoker with the side fire box- also called
> > > the grill.
> > >
> > > I am puzzled as to how restaurants can use whole wood.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your answers.
> > >
> > > Ray Steinhart

> > Many of us use wood . Or lump. Or both. Depends on what we're cooking

> .Wood
> > alone can give a strong flavor which some wives (mine) find

objectionable.
> > Jack
> > Jack
> >

> I've seen a couple of references here lately to smoking with pecan wood.
> Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but I've always felt it was a little
> "pitchy" for smoking. I use pecan for grilling, quite oftern, but the

pecan
> has always seemed a bit oily, leading the meat with a slightly bitter
> flavor.
>
> Maybe I'm using too much ?
>
> Later,
> George

George...

You have that right... Pecan needs to be used in moderation... a little goes
a very long way.

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Gus

"Jack Curry" <Jack-CurryRemove > wrote in message

> "Ray Steinhart" > wrote in message
> >I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
> >charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
> >whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the use
> >of whole wood. I use lump charcoal but do not seem to get the smoke

flavor
> >I am looking for and I am thinking whole wood may be the answer. I use a
> >Brinkman vertical smoker with the side fire box- also called the grill.
> >
> > I am puzzled as to how restaurants can use whole wood.
> >
> > Thanks for your answers.
> >
> > Ray Steinhart

> Barbecue began with the burning of "whole" wood in a pit dug in the ground
> and this method continues today in many forms. If there's a "secret" to
> cooking barbecue, it's all in the control of the fire.
> If you want to add smoke, either add wood to your lump charcoal or burn

all
> wood in the firebox.
> If you want to add wood to your lump, consider wrapping a few fist-sized
> chunks in heavy aluminum foil and tossing them in with the lump. They'll
> smolder and emit good smoke for quite awhile, and you get a free lump of
> charcoal when you're done. Or just toss a few chunks in and let them burn
> down a bit.
> Or.
> Consider building a medium-sized fire from dry wood and allow it to burn
> down to coals before putting meat in the cooking chamber (the trick is to
> achieve a steady temperature in the cooking chamber and to have just a

thin
> blue smoke escaping from the chamber vent), then add a chunk of wood at a
> time as necessary to maintain temperature and smoke level. Always leave

the
> upper vent open and control the air flow through the lower vent into the
> firebox.
> BBQ joints (the good ones) have pits that enable fire management, meaning
> they achieve a relatively constant temperature accompanied by a proper

smoke
> stream. Too much smoke is worse than not enough, since creosote will
> collect on the meat and produces a bitter, acrid taste.
>
> Jack Curry
> -it's all about the fire-

Jack...

Not to argue with you...

Sometimes, when I am being really lazy, I take a sheet of aluminum foil that
has held up some meat in the pit (and is greasy, etc.) and I stick it on top
of the coals "until tomorrow." It burns up the grease OK, but often I
notice that the foil itself is largely disintegrated by the heat of the hot
coals. Thus, I wonder if aluminum metal is vaporized and goes into the
"meat pit" (when, in Gus's case, the meat is already removed...).

Gus is not sure that he wants to wrap anything in foil and put it onto the
coals during Q-time.

Your thoughts on that, Jack???

Best to you and all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Edwin Pawlowski

"Gus" > wrote in message

> Sometimes, when I am being really lazy, I take a sheet of aluminum foil
> that
> has held up some meat in the pit (and is greasy, etc.) and I stick it on
> top
> of the coals "until tomorrow." It burns up the grease OK, but often I
> notice that the foil itself is largely disintegrated by the heat of the
> hot
> coals. Thus, I wonder if aluminum metal is vaporized and goes into the
> "meat pit" (when, in Gus's case, the meat is already removed...).
>
> Gus is not sure that he wants to wrap anything in foil and put it onto the
> coals during Q-time.
>
> Your thoughts on that, Jack???

Depends on what you are wrapping. If the contents are moist and have enough
mass, they will act as a heat sink and keep the foil from vaporizing.
Aluminum melts at 1216 degrees, easily achieved on hot coals.

I've cooked potatoes wrapped in foil and it comes out intact.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jack Curry

"Gus" > wrote in message
> ================================================== =
> Jack...
>
> Not to argue with you...
>
> Sometimes, when I am being really lazy, I take a sheet of aluminum foil
> that
> has held up some meat in the pit (and is greasy, etc.) and I stick it on
> top
> of the coals "until tomorrow." It burns up the grease OK, but often I
> notice that the foil itself is largely disintegrated by the heat of the
> hot
> coals. Thus, I wonder if aluminum metal is vaporized and goes into the
> "meat pit" (when, in Gus's case, the meat is already removed...).
>
> Gus is not sure that he wants to wrap anything in foil and put it onto the
> coals during Q-time.
>
> Your thoughts on that, Jack???
>
> Best to you and all,
> Gus Kilthau
> Houston, Texas

- snipped all the top stuff because that's polite and saves bandwidth.

Jack Curry advises caution because Jack Curry thinks that this post will
make everyone but Gus crazy and so Jack Curry thinks ya'll should quit
reading now, before you get dizzy and blow chunks.

Jack Curry thinks Gus should cook barbecue or whatever any way Gus wants to
but Jack Curry don't do it the way Gus does because Jack Curry think that
Jack Curry learned from many members of this ng how to cook barbecue in the
time-honored and traditional way, which Jack Curry think much better than
Gus way but that just Jack Curry thought and Gus think Gus way better for
Gus so Gus do barbecue Gus way.

Jack Curry think pecan wonderful smokewood, sort of hickory light. Jack
Curry think pecan like any wood can be overdo, but if pecan let burn down to
thin wispy blue smoke, like Jack Curry do with all wood before Jack Curry
put food in smoker, Jack Curry get no creosote or acrid taste on Jack Curry
food. Jack Curry learn this from Hound (RIP), Big Jim, Fat Man, Kevin, Ed,
Brick, Monroe, Dale, Tyler, Bruce, Schidt, Bugg, Sloan, Alan Z, Nick, Louis,
the FAQ and many others, thank you all. Jack Curry learn all about barbecue
here after 30 years of doing barbecue wrong. Now Jack Curry barbecue pretty
good unless Jack Curry get Jack Curry drunk and not pay attention to Jack
Curry cooking. Otherwise, Jack Curry barbecue pretty good Jack Curry says.

Jack Curry don't foil barbecue until barbecue done cooking and then foil
only to let barbecue rest because Jack Curry like nice bark on barbecue.
Jack Curry think foil cooking ruin bark, but that Gus like his foil
barbecue, fine with Jack Curry. Gus "customers" like Gus barbecue, Gus
happy, Jack Curry happy.

Jack Curry never hear of professional barbecue cooked in pot. Jack Curry
think pot barbecue wierd. Jack Curry barbecue cooked in smoker Jack Curry
want smoke in food. Jack Curry think smoke food taste good, don't need pot,
don't need foil.

Jack Curry think aluminum foil wood chunks nice way to make wood smolder,
especially in Kamado. One fist-size chunk emit nice thin blue smoke for
long time. Jack Curry think aluminum no problem, Jack Curry cook in
aluminum pot sometime but not barbecue.

Jack Curry developing "Secret Barbecue Cooking Method" Jack Curry call
"Third Person Perfect Method," better than everybody else method Jack Curry
says. Way better, Jack Curry says, but Jack Curry won't tell how, just say,
"Third Person Perfect Method" so much better "Third Person Perfect Method"
make you cry like baby and slap you mama, you ever try "Third Person Perfect
Method." Too bad Jack Curry can't tell about "Third Person Perfect Method"
for you. Jack Curry say, substitute any other method instead. Jack Curry
say it won't be as good as "Third Person Perfect Method," but that's ok.

Jack Curry like new Gus writing style not much, but Jack Curry wants to make
it easy for Gus to understand, so Jack Curry do it this once. Jack Curry
not feels so well now. Jack Curry welcome Gus to ng but Jack Curry prolly
not have much more to say to Gus because Gus new writing style turn Jack
Curry green.

Jack Curry

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:09:05 -0400, "Jack Curry" <Jack-CurryRemove
> wrote:

>- snipped all the top stuff because that's polite and saves bandwidth.

I ran your post through a Frohe Filter (TM). If you're going for
illiterate incomprehensibility, why not go whole hog. (That the Frohe
Filter strips paragraph breaks is a bonus.)

>- snipped all th' top stuff on account o' thass polite an' saves ban'width.

Chattanooga Curry advises caushun on account o' Chattanooga Curry
reckons thet this hyar post will make ev'ryone but Gus crazy an' so
Chattanooga Curry reckons ya'll sh'd quit readin' now, befo'e yo' git
dizzy an' blow chunks. Chattanooga Curry reckons Gus sh'd cook
barbecue o' whutevah enny way Gus be hankerin' t' but Chattanooga
Curry doesn't does it th' way Gus does on account o' Chattanooga Curry
reckon thet Chattanooga Curry larned fum menny members of this hyar ng
how t'cook barbecue in th' time-hono'ed an' tradishunal way, which
Chattanooga Curry reckon much better than Gus way but thet jest
Chattanooga Curry thunk an' Gus reckon Gus way better fo' Gus so Gus
does barbecue Gus way. Chattanooga Curry reckon pecan wonnerful
smokewood, so't of hicko'y light. Chattanooga Curry reckon pecan like
enny wood kin be on overdo, but eff'n pecan let burn down t' thin
wispy blue smoke, like Chattanooga Curry does wif all wood befo'e
Chattanooga Curry put grub in smoker, Chattanooga Curry git no
creosote o' acrid taste on Chattanooga Curry grub. Chattanooga Curry
larn this hyar fum Houn' (RIP), Trimenjus Jim, Fat Man, Kevin, Ed,
Brick, Monroe, Dale, Tyler, Brooce, Schidt, Bugg, Sloan, Alan Z, Nick,
Louis, th' FAQ an' menny others, thank yo' all, ah reckon. Chattanooga
Curry larn all about barbecue har af'er 30 years of doin' barbecue
wrong, acco'din' t' th' code o' th' heells! Now Chattanooga Curry
barbecue purdy fine unless Chattanooga Curry git Chattanooga Curry
drunk an' not pay attenshun t'Chattanooga Curry cookin'. Otherwise,
Chattanooga Curry barbecue purdy fine Chattanooga Curry says.
Chattanooga Curry doesn't foil barbecue until barbecue done cookin'
an' then foil only t'let barbecue ress on account o' Chattanooga Curry
like nice bark on barbecue. Chattanooga Curry reckon foil cookin' ruin
bark, but thet Gus like his foil barbecue, fine wif Chattanooga Curry.
Gus "cestomers" like Gus barbecue, Gus happy, Chattanooga Curry happy.
Chattanooga Curry nevah hear of professhunal barbecue cooked in pot.
Chattanooga Curry reckon pot barbecue wierd, cuss it all t' tarnation.
Chattanooga Curry barbecue cooked in smoker Chattanooga Curry be
hankerin' smoke in grub. Chattanooga Curry reckon smoke grub taste
fine, doesn't need pot, doesn't need foil, ah reckon. Chattanooga
Curry reckon aluminum foil wood chunks nice way t'make wood smolder,
especially in Kamado. One fist-size chunk emit nice skimpy blue smoke
fo' long time. Chattanooga Curry reckon aluminum no problem,
Chattanooga Curry cook in aluminum pot sometime but not barbecue.
Chattanooga Curry developin' "Secret Barbecue Cookin' Method"
Chattanooga Curry call "Third Varmint Puffick Method," better than
ev'rybody else method Chattanooga Curry says. Way better, Chattanooga
Curry says, but Chattanooga Curry won't tell how, jest say, "Third
Varmint Puffick Method" so much better "Third Varmint Puffick Method"
make yo' cry like baby an' slap yo' mama, yo' evah try "Third Varmint
Puffick Method, cuss it all t' tarnation." Too bad Chattanooga Curry
kin't tell about "Third Varmint Puffick Method" fo' yo'. Chattanooga
Curry say, substeetoote enny other method instead, cuss it all t'
tarnation. Chattanooga Curry say it won't be as fine as "Third Varmint
Puffick Method," but thass ok. Shet mah mouth! Chattanooga Curry like
noo Gus writin' style not much, but Chattanooga Curry be hankerin'
t'make it easy fo' Gus t'unnerstan', so Chattanooga Curry does it this
hyar once. Chattanooga Curry not feels so fine now. Chattanooga Curry
welcome Gus t'ng but Chattanooga Curry prolly not haf much mo'e t'say
t'Gus on account o' Gus noo writin' style turn Chattanooga Curry
green, as enny fool kin plainly see.
--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Jack Curry

Oh my, I have peed my pants laughing.

Chattanooga Jack Curry

Kevin S. Wilson

http://rinkworks.com/dialect/

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J. Furr
Duwop

Jack Curry wrote:
> Oh my, I have peed my pants laughing.
>
> Chattanooga Jack Curry

Acronyms don't do justice to the belly laugh you just gave Dale.

Dale thanks you.

Jack Sloan

> [...]

> says. Way better, Jack Curry says, but Jack Curry won't tell how, just

say,
> "Third Person Perfect Method" so much better "Third Person Perfect Method"
> make you cry like baby and slap you mama, you ever try "Third Person

Perfect
> Method." Too bad Jack Curry can't tell about "Third Person Perfect

Method"
> for you. Jack Curry say, substitute any other method instead. Jack Curry
> say it won't be as good as "Third Person Perfect Method," but that's ok.
>
> Jack Curry like new Gus writing style not much, but Jack Curry wants to

make
> it easy for Gus to understand, so Jack Curry do it this once. Jack Curry
> not feels so well now. Jack Curry welcome Gus to ng but Jack Curry prolly
> not have much more to say to Gus because Gus new writing style turn Jack

Perfectly said by Jack Curry.
Jack Sloan

Jack Sloan

> welcome Gus t'ng but Chattanooga Curry prolly not haf much mo'e t'say
> t'Gus on account o' Gus noo writin' style turn Chattanooga Curry
> green, as enny fool kin plainly see.
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "When you can't do something completely impractical and intrinsically
> useless *yourself*, you go get the Kibologists to do it for you." --J.

Furr

Mo' betta.
Jack

Brick

On 6-Oct-2004, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Ray Steinhart" > wrote in message
> >I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
> >charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
> >whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the use
> >of whole wood.

> The Brinkman is designed for charcoal. You can add small amounts of wood to
> get additional smoke flavor though.
>
> The big pits have larger fire boxes that get plentyof air and a good hot
> fire. Too much wood in the smaller units makes for cooker burning fires
> that give off lots of creosote and other nasties. They require much more
> tending also.
>
> Split some wood down to pieces about 1 x 1 x 12 and toss one in every half
> hour or so on top of the charcoal.

<purposely not snipped>

Kinda what Ed said. I use an offset, albeit a lesser smaller one; NB Silver. I can
use all wood, but it's a PITA. I have to use small wood, 2" or less and tend the
fire constantly. The problem is that you have to have a lot of airflow to keep
combustion at a high level to control the smoke. That means a lot of heat if
the fire is the least bit too large. Mostly I use a single 3" log on top of a bed of
burning lump. The log never really ignites and lasts though most of the cook.
After the first couple of hours, I don't bother with any raw wood. It took me a
good six months to get control of my offset cooker.I have visited BBQ joints
that use all wood in big commercial ovens. They invariable have wide open
draft where the wood can get all the air that it needs to burn cleanly. There's
one right here in Tampa, (Well Brandon). Their ovens are about 6 feet wide
and 18" high lined with fire brick. They build the fire on the far right side and
cook the meat on the rest of the surface. You can see the fire from the
serving counter and it is a bright active fire. But sizewize it isn't very big.
Maybe 18" in dia. and 3" deep. (First Choice Barbecue, Brandon Town
Center, Brando, FL)
--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Jack Sloan

"Harry in Iowa" > wrote in message
. 136...
> "Jack Sloan" > held forth in
> :
>

> Big honkin' snip
>
> > Perfectly said by Jack Curry.
> > Jack Sloan
> >

> You have exceeded your quoted lines limit this month, it's gonna cost ya.
>
> --
> Harry in Iowa
>
> Netcop cadet.
>
> Jesus H, Jack, 107 lines quoted to say atta boy. Ya didn't even tell us
> what you were having for dinner.

Left it in on purpose just for you... guess you didn't get it.

Jack

Ray Steinhart

Thanks, you have answered my exact question.

Thanks again.

Ray

Brick wrote:
> On 6-Oct-2004, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>

>>"Ray Steinhart" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
>>>charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
>>>whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the use
>>>of whole wood.

>>The Brinkman is designed for charcoal. You can add small amounts of wood to
>>get additional smoke flavor though.
>>
>>The big pits have larger fire boxes that get plentyof air and a good hot
>>fire. Too much wood in the smaller units makes for cooker burning fires
>>that give off lots of creosote and other nasties. They require much more
>>tending also.
>>
>>Split some wood down to pieces about 1 x 1 x 12 and toss one in every half
>>hour or so on top of the charcoal.

> <purposely not snipped>
>
> Kinda what Ed said. I use an offset, albeit a lesser smaller one; NB Silver. I can
> use all wood, but it's a PITA. I have to use small wood, 2" or less and tend the
> fire constantly. The problem is that you have to have a lot of airflow to keep
> combustion at a high level to control the smoke. That means a lot of heat if
> the fire is the least bit too large. Mostly I use a single 3" log on top of a bed of
> burning lump. The log never really ignites and lasts though most of the cook.
> After the first couple of hours, I don't bother with any raw wood. It took me a
> good six months to get control of my offset cooker.I have visited BBQ joints
> that use all wood in big commercial ovens. They invariable have wide open
> draft where the wood can get all the air that it needs to burn cleanly. There's
> one right here in Tampa, (Well Brandon). Their ovens are about 6 feet wide
> and 18" high lined with fire brick. They build the fire on the far right side and
> cook the meat on the rest of the surface. You can see the fire from the
> serving counter and it is a bright active fire. But sizewize it isn't very big.
> Maybe 18" in dia. and 3" deep. (First Choice Barbecue, Brandon Town
> Center, Brando, FL)

Brick

On 11-Oct-2004, " BOB" > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> >
> > I don't try to get the fat all rendered out Joe. I just cook them to a decent
> > degree of shrinkage or until they can be separated with a fork. Yes they
> > are greasy and that might put some people off. I just serve a lot of knapkins
> > along with the ribs.

> And wear a bib!
> I wish I could find some meaty beef ribs...
>
> BOB

I'm sorry that you can't seem to find any BOB. I've gotten
mine from the MacDill AFB Commisary. God only knows
where they really come from. As you probably have guessed
the U.S. Mil Commisaries buy by the freight car load and
supply every base in the world. Generally speaking, the meat
isn't all that much to rave about either in quality or price. When
I want a nice cut of meat, I patronize my local mom and pop
butcher. I've never seen a prime cut in the commisary. Maybe
a quarter of it is choice, the rest is select. Get some great deals
though if I happen to encounter some meat at it's drop dead date.
It goes to half price by the book.

Gonna make me some chile tomorrow with some smoked pork
loin and some smoked spare ribs. For chili powder, I have Ancho,
New Mexican, Serrano, Chipotle. Decisions, decisions.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Piedmont

Ray Steinhart wrote:

> I have read many comments about not using whole wood for bbq, only
> charcoal. Yet I have visited many bbq joints and they all seem to use
> whole wood. How is this so? What makes their pits acceptable to the
> use of whole wood. I use lump charcoal but do not seem to get the smoke
> flavor I am looking for and I am thinking whole wood may be the answer.
> I use a Brinkman vertical smoker with the side fire box- also called
> the grill.
>
> I am puzzled as to how restaurants can use whole wood.
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Ray Steinhart

I am cooking with charcoal and small split wood which gives a small
flame and light smoke. You won't get a "smoky" taste without wood.
Piedmont
Duwop

Piedmont wrote:
> Ray Steinhart wrote:
> I am cooking with charcoal and small split wood which gives a small
> flame and light smoke. You won't get a "smoky" taste without wood.
> Piedmont

Lump charcoal *is* wood, some brands don't have much flavor though,
especially those made of wood scrap.

Duwop

Piedmont wrote:
> Ray Steinhart wrote:
> I am cooking with charcoal and small split wood which gives a small
> flame and light smoke. You won't get a "smoky" taste without wood.
> Piedmont

Lump charcoal *is* wood, some brands don't have much flavor though,
especially those made of wood scrap.

Piedmont

Duwop wrote:
> Piedmont wrote:
>
>>Ray Steinhart wrote:
>>I am cooking with charcoal and small split wood which gives a small
>>flame and light smoke. You won't get a "smoky" taste without wood.
>>Piedmont

> Lump charcoal *is* wood, some brands don't have much flavor though,
> especially those made of wood scrap.

Hey, Duwop

What I mean is that when using lump, which is carbon, you need to add
seasoned firewood that still gives off a "smoke" is required for a smoke
flavor. Lump, regardless of it's original species, oak, maple,
hickory, etc has no "smoke", if you see smoke it's probably from new or
old grease and drippings.

Peace and Love Dud,

Piedmont, aka Sweets, aka, Mike Willsey

Duwop

Piedmont wrote:
> Duwop wrote:
>> Piedmont wrote:

> Hey, Duwop
>
> What I mean is that when using lump, which is carbon, you need to add
> seasoned firewood that still gives off a "smoke" is required for a
> smoke flavor. Lump, regardless of it's original species, oak, maple,
> hickory, etc has no "smoke", if you see smoke it's probably from new
> or old grease and drippings.

Damn, really? So why do we read so often the reccomendation to burn down
wood logs down to coals before using? I'm sure you've seen picture where
someones burning down a bunch a wood in a burn barrell. Someone should tell
them boys they're doing it wrong.
The lump brand I use tends towards the low side of doneness if you know what
I mean, brown still shows in spots and some of it looks more like singed
wood than coal. And it makes a lot of smoke, especially when starting up. So
maybe I'm not using lump cuz it sure dont seem to fit your definition.
Or maybe your definition only fits what you're using?? But I don't recognize
your definition fitting Royal Oak all that well either because it makes
smoke too. Not burnt fat smoke neither.
I'm not using a vert or a gasser so I dont eat my drippings. And all this
time I thought it was smoke coming out the chimney, damn, thanks for
straightening me out man.
It's not wood smoke according to you, and it's not fat cuz they dont hit the
flame.

Well, I'll figure it out one of these days, but with your permission, I'm
gonna keep fooling myself and my friends into tasting wood smoke without
using firewood.

Dale

Edwin Pawlowski

"Duwop" > wrote in message

> Damn, really? So why do we read so often the reccomendation to burn down
> wood logs down to coals before using? I'm sure you've seen picture where
> someones burning down a bunch a wood in a burn barrell. Someone should
> tell
> them boys they're doing it wrong.

Nope, that is the right way. There is a difference between wood burned to
coals and lump charcoal. In a perfect setup, the wood being converted to
charcoal is burned in a low oxygen environment. The only thing left would
be pure carbon. The process is not perfect, so it is not pure. What has
happened though, is the byproducts of combustion have been driven off. Very
little or no smoke is going to be seen or smelled when burned.

Burning wood to coals, you don't have the low oxygen, but you have natural
draft. The wood is not burned as completely as in the charcoal making
process. Thus, you do have more smoke flavor that is going to get onto the
meat. The smoke has a couple of hundred chemical ingredients in it.

Burning straight wood gives off the most products of combustion, thus the
most flavor to the meat. Done wrong, it will also coat the meat with some
nasty residue.

Step back in time a hunded years or two, and go to an old fashioned North
Carolina pig pickin'. What was the object of the roast? It was to cook a
hog with the available fuel to make a meal. Smoke flavor is secondary.
Evolutionarily, we have come to like the smoke flavor and try to get some
onto the meat. Smoke curing was done to preserve meat, not necessarily to
flavor it, but that is a side benefit.

> The lump brand I use tends towards the low side of doneness if you know
> what
> I mean, brown still shows in spots and some of it looks more like singed
> wood than coal. And it makes a lot of smoke, especially when starting up.
> So
> maybe I'm not using lump cuz it sure dont seem to fit your definition.

Depending on your goals, the lump you are using is either very good or very
poor quality.

> And all this
> time I thought it was smoke coming out the chimney, damn, thanks for
> straightening me out man.
> It's not wood smoke according to you, and it's not fat cuz they dont hit
> the
> flame.

If you see smoke, you probably have too much and the fire is not hot enough.
If you like the end result, good for you, but billowing smoke is risky to
the taste.

> Well, I'll figure it out one of these days, but with your permission, I'm
> gonna keep fooling myself and my friends into tasting wood smoke without
> using firewood.

If you like it, that is what matters. I've had bbq that had so much rub and
smoke flavor and then topped with sauce that I had no idea what the meat
tasted like. Could have been pork, cat, rat, or some other road kill.

Many people make a gin & tonic with a slice of lime. That is OK for cheaper
gin, but when you get a bottle of Hendricks, or 10 or Malacca, you won't
want to spoil the taste with a lime.

Piedmont

Duwop wrote:
> Piedmont wrote:
>
>>Duwop wrote:
>>
>>>Piedmont wrote:

>>Hey, Duwop
>>
>>What I mean is that when using lump, which is carbon, you need to add
>>seasoned firewood that still gives off a "smoke" is required for a
>> smoke flavor. Lump, regardless of it's original species, oak, maple,
>>hickory, etc has no "smoke", if you see smoke it's probably from new
>>or old grease and drippings.

SNIP
> The lump brand I use tends towards the low side of doneness if you know what
> I mean, brown still shows in spots and some of it looks more like singed
> wood than coal. And it makes a lot of smoke, especially when starting up. So

SNIP

> Dale

Hey, Duwop

I think you hit the nail on the head my friend. I make my own lump and
some of it doesn't process all the way. There is some "wood" remaining
in some pieces. It would be those spots that give off some "real" wood
smoke. Even some of the briquttes you can by have bits of "wood" in them
for just such a purpose. But the best of my homemade lump is pure carbon
and
doesn't give a smokey taste. Which is why I will toss on sticks of split
wood to kick up the smoke flavor and to kick up the heat too. With a
good bed of coals, the split wood does flame but the smoke stays
relativly "light" as in, not a dense white cloud but more towards the
nice blue gray haze.

Now I have to go, heading down to Columbia, SC for the results of the
1st annual Carolina Q Cup. I want to see what them boys do to Q, 25
gazzers and 25 wood or coal jobs, I cheering for the coal and wood boys
myself. These boys are suppose to do all kinds of Q. Seems Carolina does
vertually every kind of hog. Tomato base sauce, red vinegar sauce, clear
vinegar sauce, and I think a mustard base.

http://www.carolinaqcup.com/

Peace brother q'r

Piedmont (South Carolina), aka sweets(Illinois), aka mike willsey
(Indiana) I swear this is my last move! As I'm sure the law can't find
me now! he, he!

Duwop

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Duwop" > wrote in message
>>

> Nope, that is the right way. There is a difference between wood
> burned to coals and lump charcoal. In a perfect setup, the wood
> being converted to charcoal is burned in a low oxygen environment.
> The only thing left would be pure carbon. The process is not
> perfect, so it is not pure. What has happened though, is the
> byproducts of combustion have been driven off. Very little or no
> smoke is going to be seen or smelled when burned.

Then for sure those making the lump I use are imperfect, which I find
perfect for cooking.

> Burning wood to coals, you don't have the low oxygen, but you have
> natural draft. The wood is not burned as completely as in the
> charcoal making process. Thus, you do have more smoke flavor that is
> going to get onto the meat. The smoke has a couple of hundred
> chemical ingredients in it.

Makes sense.

> Depending on your goals, the lump you are using is either very good
> or very poor quality.

<BG> Yep, the goal being "like cooking with wood" this stuff is real good.

> If you see smoke, you probably have too much and the fire is not hot
> enough. If you like the end result, good for you, but billowing smoke
> is risky to the taste.

Now Harry, where did I say billowing? Maybe you forgot the point, that with
the lump brand I use there's enough wood flavor that adding chunks is
unecessary. Only time I have easily visible smoke is after adding cold lump
to the fire. And that only lasts a little bit.

> If you like it, that is what matters. I've had bbq that had so much
> rub and smoke flavor and then topped with sauce that I had no idea
> what the meat tasted like. Could have been pork, cat, rat, or some
> other road kill.

I hear ya, I started out doing up my meat like a 1 dollar hooker, now keep
it simple. And have oversmoked using firewood logs too. Live and learn.

And Mike, I'm just disagreeing to a point on how much flavor lump has, I
know you've made more BBQ than I will in my lifetime and enjoy your posts.

Wood vs Charcoal? jj Barbecue 6 17-07-2009 06:55 PM
Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc? markm75 General Cooking 31 14-05-2007 05:11 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal (and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc)? markm75 Barbecue 11 12-05-2007 06:15 PM
Caldera Del Fuego wood and charcoal smoker D. Winsor Barbecue 0 13-01-2006 02:22 AM
Wood chunks or charcoal? Buck Barbecue 10 15-05-2004 02:30 AM